CNBC shows its colors

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by rickf, Jul 18, 2007.

1. rock1968

rock1968

it was expected though..

#31     Jul 19, 2007
  2. I remember one of your interviews, I think. Weren't you on that piece on gay & lesbian investing clubs? You and your "partner" were discussing discounted cash flow analysis.

#32     Jul 19, 2007
  3. CNBC has fired warning shots already... :D

[​IMG]

#33     Jul 19, 2007
  4. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Amazing! Of one user's 10 posts, all 10 have neither reasonable intellect nor value to the grazers of this site.

Just another testament to the idiots we trade against, and profit from everyday.

#34     Aug 23, 2007
  5. this looks more and more interesting. Now I see why Cody Willard's post about his future was deleted from Real Money before you could read it.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117972202&categoryid=14
    To print this page, select "PRINT" from the File Menu of your browser.

Posted: Tue., Sep. 18, 2007, 12:31pm PTRupert Murdoch takes aim at CNBC
    Fox Business Network to launch on Oct. 15
    By MICHAEL LEARMONTHNEW YORK -- Rupert Murdoch vowed that News Corp.'s upcoming Fox Business Network would take a very different approach to business news than CNBC, casting the upcoming battle as "Wall Street" versus "Main Street."
    "It's going to be different from CNBC, just as Fox News is different from CNN," Murdoch told Wall Streeters at a Goldman Sachs-sponsored conference. "CNBC is a financial channel for Wall Street; we're for Main Street."

CNBC has had little competition, short of Bloomberg TV, since CNN shuttered CNNfn in late 2004. Fox Business Network is set to launch in 34 million homes Oct. 15, when it will begin to compete with the NBC Universal-owned network.

"They dwell too much on failures and scandals and politics," he said. "We want to spend a lot of time on innovation, successes and people who are making money."

Murdoch said the launch of FBN, and the acquisition of Dow Jones coincide with what he believes to be "a unique point in history" where demand for financial information will increase for decades as prosperity and entrepreneurial culture spread around the globe.

He said he expects News Corp.'s $5 billion acquisition of Dow Jones to be completed in December. CNBC and Dow Jones have an exclusive content agreement that runs through 2012, but Murdoch said the deal only covers business news and won't prevent Fox Business Network from using the brand or the content.

"There is no reason we could not have Wall Street Journal coverage of politics, international affairs, lifestyle, travel, you name it," he said.

CNBC spokesman Kevin Goldman didn't dispute Murdoch's interpretation of the agreement. "We're about providing fast, accurate, actionable and unbiased business news to people with a lot of money and those who aspire to have a lot of money," he said.

News Corp. has already identified $100 million in savings at Dow Jones that Murdoch described as the "low-hanging fruit." He added that the company employs 1,600 journalists globally at Dow Jones Newswires and the Wall Street Journal and that they could be better leveraged by having wire reporters "work closely with the paper itself."

He said he hadn't decided whether to switch business models at WSJ.com from subscription to a solely advertising-supported model. The switch would mean a short-term $30 millon hit to the bottom line, eventually offset by higher advertising revenue.

Cost savings, he said, "are not really what we're about; we're about expanding revenues."

Sensitive that Wall Street has been wary of News Corp. stock, Murdoch defended his record of acquiring and launching new businesses.

"When we started Fox News I was considered an idiot," he said. How could I possibly do that, spend a billion dollars? It's worth $10 billion today. Two years ago you were laughing at me about MySpace. What's that worth today? Certainly more than 20 times what we paid for it."

It took Fox News five years to reach full distribution in more than 90 million homes across the U.S. He said if the company produced "the channel we think we can," full distribution would come in the same time frame.

Weeks from its scheduled launch, Fox Business Network has been busy lining up talent. The network named four new anchors on Tuesday; Peter Barnes, Jenna Lee, Nicole Patallides and Cody Willard.

They join David Asman, Dagen McDowell, Cheryl Casone, Stuart Varney and Rebecca Gomez who were named last week.

Read the full article at:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972202.html

Like this article? Variety.com has over 150,000 articles, 40,000 reviews and 10,000 pages of charts. Subscribe today!
    http://www.variety.com/emailfriend
    or call (866) MY-VARIETY.
    Can't commit? Sign up for a free trial!
    http://www.variety.com/emailfriend

© 2007 Reed Business Information
    Use of this Website is subject to Terms of Use. Privacy Policy

#35     Sep 18, 2007
  6. Sim03 said "Sure, but it's going to be the miniskirted crossed leggage on an open raised stage at FBC year round that will sweep CNBC no matter what."

:D

I once saw PattiAnne Brown on Fox on the raised stage in a skirt so short it literally showed her left butt cheek from the side 1/4 view. She was either pantie-less, or had on a thong.
    The camera did NOT pan away for a LONG time.
    :)

#36     Sep 18, 2007
  7. empee

empee

omg cody williard is a moron

#37     Sep 18, 2007
  8. I love PattiAnn Browne.

Have you ever see Laurie Dhue on Fox? They did something with her eye makeup, and she looks like a Godess. What a doll.

I think Silvia Wadva's fifteen minutes of fame is up.

#38     Sep 19, 2007
  9. Sobieski

Sobieski

Silvia Wadwha gives me the horn. I think it's the gap between the teeth.

#39     Sep 19, 2007
  10. rickf

rickf

How the bloody hell does CNBC think they're being useful in showing the House Banking Committee hearings today if they continue to overlay the spoken testimony and dialogue of folks in the hearing with their f--cking World of Warcraft sprinkle noises as they continually update the market graphics on the screen? Add to that the "line printer screeching" as they update prices "in real time" in-between Warcraft sprinkles and you get a constant set of useless background noises that distracts from listening to the hearing itself. Makes you want to spork your ears out.

I switched it off. Maybe C-SPAN is covering it.

That said, I've almost completely given up on CNBC in the past few weeks. Aside from briefly surfing Squawk Box over breakfast (and then switching to Bloomberg which I get for 2 hours each morning on Comcast) I keep it off during the day. If I'm inclined, I'll throw it on briefly during lunch, and maybe watch the start of Fast Money at night.....but even then, Fast Money's gotten significantly more "in your face" with more "macho guy banter" than it was a month or two ago.

Alas CNBC, after 11 years, I'm inches away from turning you off permanently.

#40     Sep 20, 2007