CNBC Maria Bartiromo's Exclusive Interview with Gov. Sarah Palin

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TT1, Aug 30, 2008.

1. "if conclusions contradict the word of God, the conclusions are wrong no matter how many scientific facts may appear to back them."biology textbook printed by conservative Christian publisher Bob Jones University Press

#11     Aug 30, 2008
  2. All about Alaska....what was her vision for America? Has she traveled much outside Alaska? Outside the US?

#12     Aug 30, 2008
  3. I wouldn't equate creationism with intelligence. Its culturally ingrained from birth with many people. They also can't let the "how did life start then" argument just sit there unanswered.

Personally, I have been an atheist since I was about 10, and the "dichotomy of God" argument in philosophy 101 iced my belief. BUT, I know many very intelligent people that are quite religious. As for teaching creationism, this is a state by state thing, so don't worry about it.

#13     Aug 30, 2008
  4. #14     Aug 30, 2008

5. Yea. you're kind of dumb.

First of all do you really think I, or anyone else in the world can create a valid case for creationism or evolution that will prove either beyond the shadow of any doubt? No. Why do you think it's such an issue?

Secondly, why should I got through the trouble of making all these logical points when he didn't?

Thirdly, his lack of respect for creationists shows how ignorant he is. Can you prove otherwise? Can I? Can anybody? No this is america and we let differences be differences. Except for this guy who obviously thinks he has all the answers and anybody who doesn't subscribe to HIS beliefs (because in the end evolution, creationism, etc are just that, BELIEFS) is stupid.

Lastly, I just typed 2 fucking pages in the Obama thread and didn't feel like typing anymore.

One more thing, next time he, or you, or anybody else accuses creationists of being ignorant, maybe you should take a minute to thank the creationists that built this country and its value system which, incidentally, was based on that "ignorant" value system.

#15     Aug 30, 2008
  6. Thank you, jonbig04, for illustrating to me in no uncertain terms why it it that GWB was elected president. Twice.

#16     Aug 30, 2008

7. Ok, and I guess I should rebut that incredibly logical and well put-together argument with one of my own right?

haha.

#17     Aug 30, 2008
  8. i never said creationists were all ignorant. some are well educated. i said all creationists are willfully ignorant because they choose to ignore the evidence that the stories in their book are based on primitive superstitions. there is a difference they will willingly ignore thousands of fossils that show a progression through millions of years and cling to a belief that the earth is only 6000 years old because a primitive man said so thousands of years ago in their book. that is what willfull ignorace is.
    by the way are you one of those? it sounds like i got a little too close to home for your comfort.

#18     Aug 30, 2008

9. You did get a little too close to home. Why? It has nothing to do with my beliefs or lack of beliefs. It's because the world is full of people like you, people that for some reason can 't look through an issue and see the complexity of it.People like you blindly project their beliefs with no regard to why there is even an opposing point of view. This happens on every kind of issue, abortion, gun control, etc. These are issues because there is no simple or easily provable answer. We then are that much further from deciding on an amicable solution because both sides are blinded by their own biases.

You said creationists are ignorant, you may be right in that they ignore your "evidence" (I am suspicious of such), however I would guess that you aren't familiar in the intricacies of creationism and the theories involved with it (eg apparent age) either. The fact that you think fossils can prove or disprove creationism is testament to your ignorance of creationism.

That being said, I understand why you rely on science to prove and disprove certain things. I do it. We all do it. Because it's all we know. Am I a creationist? I don't know. The only thing I have figured out, is that I know nothing.

Look at the human body for example. We know far more about how our bodies work today then we did 1,000 years ago. We know why blood clots, and we know what our heart is used for, but tell me...how does a heart beat? What keeps it beating for 70 years? We know how the sun works, but tell me how it got there? The big bang theory? Thin, but ok. How did the initial matter arrive? Science can no more explain how the universe came to be than it could if an elephant suddenly appeared in your living room. My point is while science is getting more and more advanced, its simply telling us how the things work that we can't explain. Science only breaks down what we don't know into catagories. It opens them up and tells us which parts do what, with out explaining why or even how. Using the elephant example, if an elephant appeared in your house before your wife came home what would happen? She would likely scream and wonder just what the hell is going on. You, using science, would say "Well this is en elephant. Its gray, has a trunk"...eventually you would get down to the very cells that make up the elephant "....the tusks are made up of these kind of cells which are powered by the mitochondria and controlled by the nucleus..etc etc"....after all that scientific explaining would your wife walk off, satisfied? No. She would still want to know how, and why the hell there is an elephant in your living room. Science would provided no answer, just like it can't for humans, the earth, and the entire universe.

Does that been there is a god? No. It's doesnt mean anything, but that there are so many things that we can't quantify and are no closer to than we were 5,000 years ago. Is it so strange to you then that humans would choose other ways to explain things (eg religion)? Can you prove them wrong? Can you give them their answers? I don't think so. If I were you, I would be so quick to deal out explanations.

#19     Aug 30, 2008
  10. you are using an appeal to ignorance as your argument. because something seems complicated you insert a god into any gap in our knowledge.
    http://www.fallacyfiles.org/ignorant.html

It is always amusing to hear theists proclaim that they dont believe in evolution because it sounds too complicated yet they will readily believe that some grey haired old deity in the sky just spoke and everything we see today popped up from nothing.

try educating yourself. there is no reason to still believe primitive tales in this enlightened internet age unless you choose to be willfully ignorant. start here.
    http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p82.htm
    http://home.entouch.net/dmd/dmd.htm

#20     Aug 30, 2008