CNBC - Cramer's Mad Money

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by LaSalle, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sammybea

sammybea

In the history of CNBC there were only 3 anchors that were worth watching.. Dan Dorfman ( the guy who really did move markets), current anchor Ron Insana, and of course, former anchor Emma Crosby.. sigh.

#31     Mar 15, 2005
  2. could somone please explain what this is all about? mad money? etc. I dont watch CNBC except when Louis is on

#32     Mar 15, 2005
  3. They aren't anchors, but whenever Rick Santeli or Art Cashin are speaking I actually listen to the TV. Art is a huge player and knows just about everything about all the different markets, freinds who know him say he is brilliant when it comes to what is going on in the financial markets. Rick seems to be very knowledgeable and astute at what is going on in Chicago and in the Treasuries. Most of the others I see on CNBC are reading que cards.

#33     Mar 15, 2005
  4. chartie

chartie

LOLOL .....

Chest-Beating Trades Will Bring Trouble
    By James J. Cramer
    03/15/2005 09:12

We saw it again Monday, that incredible lack of liquidity after hours . It showed up in the ridiculous buying in Genentech DNA , taking the stock up 13 points in after hours trade. That was a totally gratuitous run by someone with a lot of firepower who used the lack of liquidity to move the stock up to where he wanted it to go.

This kind of behavior, where some institution or institutions just take matters into their own hands, happens because no one at a Lehman Brothers or a Goldman Sachs or a Morgan Stanley wants to make a market in the darned thing. No one wants to offer 200,000 shares of Genentech up 4 to work it down lower because everyone knows the game now. The brokers know that the institutions don't trade like they did in the old days. They think nothing of getting Goldman short on a print and then walking across the street to Smith Barney and doing the same thing. In the old days, that was bad form; these days, anything goes.

What's so different now? First, it is no longer a relationship business. People trade through machines and the machines mask anyone. Second, when the Justice Department cracked down on the collusive ways of the brokers, the brokers no longer had a way to enforce their wrath. In the old days, they could punish an account for acting out like this. Not anymore; there's no club out there to enforce things.

So we get this kind of maniacal, illiquid move. The institutions tend to know they can get away with it because they can then work the phones and get an upgrade from a couple of places as the biotech analysts on the Street seem particularly susceptible to what the accounts are saying and doing.

Suffice it to say, I miss the old days. This chest-beating, I'm-taking-it-higher-myself stuff just makes for bigger downfalls down the road.

Random musings: Thanks so much to all of you great callers last night to "Mad Money," my new show on CNBC . (Missed it last night? We're doing it again tonight at 6 p.m. EST.) I already get so many great calls for my radio show , it's terrific that there are so many to go around. ... Don't forget, I am taking questions about the Internet sector on radio today, so call me from 3-4 p.m. EST at 1-800-862-8686. How awfully does that group act?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, if anyone would like to call and question him, please use your ET username – so we all know you’re our true hero :p

#34     Mar 15, 2005
  5. only 2 i listen to.

#35     Mar 15, 2005
  6. gnome

gnome

That won't work. They'll censor the call if you tell them you're "inandlong"...

#36     Mar 15, 2005
  7. just listened to it. funny show. i did catch him say he doesnt like ebay now. oops, loved it 20 points higher and now he doesnt like it.
    he gets to hype every pos he owns. he should beat the market this year with an easy way to hype his picks.
    he had tough questions for the SBL ceo. good job getting the facts.

#37     Mar 15, 2005
  8. yenzen

yenzen

Even Stock777 cant defend this horse**** program.

Senor Zen

#38     Mar 15, 2005
  9. kinda doubt Ratboy would make it through his screeners.

#39     Mar 15, 2005
  10. I found the voiceover reference to CMGI's performance today most amusing. It's time to party like it's 1999!

Now we know what Kudlow contributed to the old K&C show - a sense of decorum.

I need to shut this crap off. I can't write code with that noise.

#40     Mar 15, 2005