CNBC and Jim Cramer

Discussion in 'Trading' started by slug, Feb 16, 2012.

1. slug

slug

I began trading in September of 1999 and have considered CNBC a part of my trading career. I have had CNBC playing in the background every market day from 8AM till 4PM since my very first trade.
    After Mark Haines unfortunate death, CNBC decided to shake things up a bit and place Jim Cramer into the 9AM slot.
    I find Jim Cramer to be grating and offers a huge disservice to retail investors from all walks of life. He was and still is known to be a market manipulator by many insiders and for some reason decided to tell the world through an in-house video he made several years ago. http://www.wimp.com/manipulatingmarket/
    (better watch it fast since it is usually taken offline very quickly once discovered to have resurfaced).

I have gotten in the habit of turning CNBC off at 8:50AM and tend to resume watching around 10AM when Cramer is gone. I will turn to anything including cartoons to avoid hearing this idiot speak.

Are there other out there that turn the channel? Why is CNBC punishing its long time watchers? Does he really get good rating? If so, my view of the investor/trading community has moved yet another notch lower from already depressed levels.

Well, that is my rant for the day.

2. onelots

onelots

awesome post. thanks for that

3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

The Daiily Show had Jim Cramer on a few years ago and rocked him by showing this video. Jim didn't look too happy.

I also used to watch CNBC. I recently switched to Bloomberg. I generally learn something everyday when I watch Bloomberg.

4. jnbadger

jnbadger

I left it on today because I wanted to see the dog ring the bell at the NYSE. Otherwise I turn it off every day at 9 EST and leave it off.

The Doctor/Lawyer/Dentist/Pilot types seem to think he's some type of genius because he can quote all kinds of stats off the top of his head about 100's of companies. To me, that just means he has an excellent memory, not that he can predict the direction of a stock.

5. I think if the market was a living human being it would be exactly like Cramer.

6. funny as I am thinking the same, lately. it has been nearly 2.5 years since I stopped watching CNBC, and just this month i put on the TV and CNBC. unreal, how pathetic it is to have to listen to Crammer especially in the morning... just vote with your remote!

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, there are at least 2 other business channels, so....

By the way Jim's worth is probably in the 50-100 mill range, not an argument, just a fact.... :)

He is more of an entertainer than a financial advice provider. His advice is worth as much as you paid for it.

8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I tihnk they like him because he is very definitive. He says, "BUY" or "SELL" with conviction and that's what people want to hear.

9. slug

slug

I'm OK with the wonder pets, thank you.

I would never argue with someone over Jim Cramer. Primarily just offering my opinion and I guess I have a lower one for 50-100 mill.

Financial advice providers are entertainers. Sell, Sell, Sell!!!!

10. jnbadger

jnbadger

That's what I was thinking, also. I've never hear the guy say, "well, I just don't know about that one." He makes it seem like you should be able to look at any random stock and determine off the top of your head what it's going to do in the near future based recent news and statistics.

In fact, that's probably his allure. People think it's possible to do, so they keep watching to try and figure out how to do it themselves, even though it's a fantasy. And that fantasy, combined with the circus act he puts on, gives him the ratings every night.

#10     Feb 16, 2012