cnbc ‘freaking out’ over low ratings.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Free Thinker, May 1, 2012.

1. dmdunick

dmdunick

I prefer Bloomberg, more about the markets and less commercials.

#41     May 3, 2012
  2. can Maria get anymore botox in those lips? Some days, she sounds like she's all coked up. I do like Sorkin. He's such the antithesis of the Street that he's interesting, and they say he's killing the ratings.

#42     May 4, 2012
  3. His voice gives me suicidal tendencies, I'm not kidding !

#43     May 4, 2012
  4. There is an interesting thing about gurus. Most gurus say up front that it takes discipline to win and that only a handful will survive. Most explain why that is and do not post actual survival numbers. Yet in the trading rooms most assume that people beside them are successful. In fact by my counts, almost all are not in the long run. I go in thinking I will learn and find out that I am already one of the best. (Of course there is always more to learn.)

Several times I have met these people personally over coffee or at lunches and I continually say to them, where are all the guys that have left and give the names of the trading room that no longer show up. They say they don't know what happened. I say if this guru/method were really successful, shouldn't there be a (hopefully growing steadily) core of people who never change? They rarely reply but go back to thinking that they are close but just need bigger screens, more discipline, a better method etc.

I met one very nice guy who had become a sub-guru in two different trading rooms. He day-traded with 25000 and had borrowed that money against his house. Other people thought he was a trading god. When he left, they would continue to ask about him.

The potential for self-delusion in humans is incredible. Most all think there is something wrong with them and not the method or the guru.

#44     May 4, 2012
  5. ammo

ammo

self delusion is the killer,ignoring risk due to recent plunders,the ego needs to be squashed,it needs to be managed same as the account ,those that use discipline in that area tend not to over ride there rules when they hit a good run,thus not giving it back,it's easy to make money ,the trick is to hang on to it,build

#45     May 4, 2012
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I do know that CNBC on the internet is up sharply in the past year. For example, I watch CNBC for free on the internet and there's a chat tagged with it. Last year there were only 7 users on most days. I now see about 460 users on most days. Thus, maybe their viewership has just shifted to something they can't measure :confused:

Regardless, as StarDust suggested, overall trading environment by those that typically would watch CNBC has dropped because they're no longer trading...especially since the financial fiasco in 2008.

#46     May 4, 2012
  7. Vanilla Ice is on CNBS talking about flipping houses. WTF?

#47     May 4, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sue was actually rather attractive back in the late 80's early 90's. Back then it was FNN.

I have no idea. I can't imagine anyone watching that useless garbage.

#48     May 5, 2012
  9. bruce436

bruce436

CNBC has been useless nonsense for the past 10 years ... why all the attention suddenly???????????/

#49     May 5, 2012
  10. maybe if they got rid of that c@nt Rick Santelli I would start watching them again.........................NOT!!

#50     May 5, 2012