CMT books worth reading?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by peerless, May 28, 2004.

1. peerless

peerless

Off the MTA read list. The books section of ET does a poor job, so I thought I'd throw this out here for comment. So please give it all you got....

CMT Level 1 books:

Murphy, John J.: Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets
    Pring, Martin J.: Technical Analysis Explained

CMT Level 2 books:

Kaufman, Perry J., Trading Systems and Methods
    Murphy, John J., Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets
    Nison, Steve, Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques
    Pring, Martin J., Investment Psychology Explained

CMT Level 3 books:

Brown, Constance,Technical Analysis for the Trading Professional
    Murphy, John J., Intermarket Technical Analysis
    Nison, Steve, Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques
    Shiller, Robert J., Irrational Exuberance

thx,
    peerless

2. peerless

peerless

Didn't realize the list had dupes until after I posted. All comments appreciated.

3. BEST ta BOOK imo IS SCHWAGER's.

4. The candlestick book you have listed is good if your new to candlesticks and looking for a good basic understanding...

Easy reading also.

Can't really compare it to the rest (some I have) because they really have a different subject matter to explain...

Like comparing Apples to Oranges.

NihabaAshi

5. If you read and master Connie Brown's book, you will find out what most at ET do not know.

Indicators DO work, and properly set, they CAN lead the market.

Regards
    Oddi

6. I browsed that book a long time ago and I remember if I am not mistaken that the author talks about how RSI for ex. or other indicators will LAG prices because of the limitations of computers the book says I think (?) , butit is true just look at an MA on a pull back or oscillator when a price breaks out, with the MA once the move has been made it looks like prices pulled back to the MA. But no in fact the MA at the time of
    the "pullback" entry was way below prices but "caught up " with prices as the break out occured. That's why at the end of day you may sometimes think " where the hell was I there on this pull back?" I think the guy or gal (?) came up with some improved RSI to compensate for that kind of problem.

7. How about adding a vote "none of the above".

:p

8. For Murphy, John J.: Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets & Pring, Martin J.: Technical Analysis Explained, these two books are for the beginners. If you've never dabbled in TA, take whichever book to read. For Kaufman, Perry J., Trading Systems and Methods, After you read one the books above, read this one.

For Brown, Constance,Technical Analysis for the Trading Professional & Murphy, John J., Intermarket Technical Analysis, I don't think these two books of much use.

9. qtip

qtip

I must say that to pass the CMT test, which I have done the first one with limited trading experience doesn't mean much. Of course, I am a really good test taker by chance so it makes it easy. I really don't rely on the words of the CMT only because it seems very easy to memorize info. That doesn't say I will pass the 2nd and 3rd portion. My point is that anyone who starts to trade and make a habit of "making it." is more credible than anyone else. Of all CMTs' that I have followed, Kent Tower seems to be right on the money IMO. Of course, I have a Cybertrader account which gives me all the free education I want want even when it is waterdowned. Of course, this is only my IMO.

qtipl

10. She developed the composite index. The formula is in the book, if it is read carefully. The composite, combined with RSI, will tell well in advance when the move is weakening. Her methods work on any time frame. The signals, especially when combined with a math grid to determine relative displacement, are easy to read and reliable.

Regards
    Oddi

#10     May 29, 2004