C'mon Canada

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I hope it works but I don't get the part about only giving fines to the users that post hate speech and not to the companies that do not moderate the users.

Simply, you either go all the way in holding people responsible or not at all.

wrbtrader

3. Cuddles

Cuddles

I grew up low middle class, played ball w/people worse off than I. Believe me, this will affect people who liberally throw "faggot, nigga, tranny, retard" on a daily basis in public, let alone using "preferred pronouns". Unless the law is meant to unfairly target those who'd use antisemitic or antiMuslim speech, in which case it's a shitty law to begin with.

Worst case scenario is an anti-Trudeau like LePen/Trump takes power and they decide to classify anti-conservative/political speech as hate speech.

4. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

When I see things like this, it makes me really glad that I live in the US. The 1st Amendment produces some unsavory results at times, but freedom matters more than feelings. I certainly don't want someone else deciding what is or isn't hate speech and what I can or can't say.

murray t turtle, smallfil and luisHK like this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Isn't it about online postings and not what is stated outside in the streets ?

wrbtrader

6. Cuddles

Cuddles

It is. I may be unfairly extrapolating that people "bold" enough to use slurs in their vernacular will be likelier to use those terms online.

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I like to call jerks on the street "a pussy" but I don't think I've ever called anyone online "a pussy".

Just the same, I've called jerks online "a dick" but I don't think I've ever called anyone on the street "a dick". :D

sarcasm but true

wrbtrader

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Which then begs the question, what's the difference?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  9. "but despite popular misconceptions Canada is actually its own country."

link?

Arnie likes this.
  10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Isn't Canada just a hat the U.S. wears on our head to keep the Arctic cold out.

#10     Jun 28, 2021