CME IOM Membership tax implications for an Individual Member

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rwurly, Jan 5, 2017.

1. chris500

chris500

Incorrect.

Where does it say so? Quote some tax code or regulation.

The only person who says what you say is Robert A. Green from GreenTraderTax. He's got articles splattered all over the internet saying exactly that. You work for him? Someone needs to tell him to stop spreading misinformation.

#21     Nov 15, 2017
  2. garachen

garachen

It's very clear in the IRS rules that if you are a member of an exchange that you have to pay SE taxes.

I've been audited on this before and thankfully I did it correctly.

There's no financial benefit to not paying them. If you don't pay SE you will have to pay Obamacare tax instead because you are calling it passive income. Which is the same rate.

This is a well known, clear cut topic that has been answered correctly for you. If you continue to argue otherwise you should be banned for intentionally spreading false tax information which could mislead people and really get them in trouble.

No. It's not my responsibility to prove or provide links. These are well known facts that are well established.

#22     Nov 15, 2017
  3. garachen

garachen

The pertinent parts are in a section you aren't quoting. You are not a dealer.

#23     Nov 15, 2017
  4. chris500

chris500

Dealers can be a member of an exchange.
    Non-dealers can be a member of an exchange.

How's that difficult to understand?

Dealers pay SE taxes.
    Non-dealers do not pay SE taxes.

#24     Nov 15, 2017
  5. chris500

chris500

What pertinent parts?

Yes, I'm not a dealer. Therefore, not subject to SE taxes.

If you're a dealer, then when the IRS audited you it found no problems because you were paying SE taxes.

#25     Nov 15, 2017
  6. Sig

Sig

Absolutely, trust a random jackass on the internet over a CPA who puts his name, reputation, and livelihood on the line when he publishes tax advice. And by the way, that reputation it pretty good. Yours on the other hand......

#26     Nov 15, 2017
  7. chris500

chris500

Okay, you're calling me a jackass.

No need to get emotional. Relax.

I wasn't attacking Robert A. Green. I'm pretty sure he's a good guy with good intentions. Everybody makes mistakes every once in a while. No big deal.

#27     Nov 15, 2017
  8. abc1234

abc1234

"domestic board of trade" = CME, CBOT (Chicago Board of Trade), NYMEX, etc...

If you buy or lease a seat at one of the above exchanges you are registered with that particular exchange.

This is different from being registered with the NFA as a commodities dealer. There is a question on the CME application that asks if you are registered with the NFA, that is probably what the person you spoke to thought you were referring to. You do not need to be registered with the NFA to buy or lease a seat.

#28     Nov 15, 2017
  9. algofy

algofy

Wow, you are 100% wrong and I'll prove it. Give me a bit of time.

#29     Nov 15, 2017
  10. algofy

algofy

#30     Nov 15, 2017