CME: Illinois Tax 'Untenable', Looking South

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by bone, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Not really 'breaking' news there -- this has been discussed on this forum for a few weeks now.

#11     Jul 28, 2011
  2. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

TN taxes interest and dividends. I just don't see it. Nashville is not a really big town; growing yes because of its great business climate and locale. There I agree with you 100% But for a major exchange, it should go where there'd be some good synergies, like access to international in Miami or energy/commodities in TX.

#13     Jul 28, 2011
  3. Put it in Dallas.

#14     Jul 28, 2011
  4. #15     Jul 28, 2011
  5. Hurricanes are something of a problem though.

#16     Jul 28, 2011
  6. As long as they finally cut their exchange fee in a meaningful way, I give a sh1t about their "tax situation". They are "stealing" anyway any serious trader more money through their absolutely inflexible fee system that I throw up every time I see our monthly transaction cost analysis.

Over years, CME is THE MOST EXPENSIVE EXCHANGE WORLDWIDE ON OUR BOOKS.

#17     Jul 28, 2011
  7. The stupid governor imposed a big state tax hike, according to my brother in the Chicago suburbs... which has resulted in many companies avoiding Illinois and moving to nearby farmersville: Wisconsin... Wow, that's a great way to close a shortfall in tax revenues...

#18     Jul 28, 2011
  8. Thank god for tax competition. It's the only thing keeping state taxes from getting ridiculously high.

I would like to see all federal taxes moved to the state or local level where they would be subject to competitive pressures. Let the states with the best mix of taxes vs services out-compete the others to attract residents and businesses.

#19     Jul 28, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

The exchange itself is not moving nor is their data centers. They are talking about moving their executive offices. No one on this forum would even notice if they moved.

#20     Jul 28, 2011