CME Housing Futures

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by guy2, May 23, 2006.

Which way is the US housing market going?

1. The market will continue to rise

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. The market will flatten out

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. The market will drop

35 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. Don't know or don't care

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. 1011101

I tried many contracts, including that one and got the same message.

Also, what are the margin requirements for these futures at ib? I could not find it on the website.

#51     Sep 26, 2006
  2. def

def Sponsor

In that case, you should probably contact customer service say they can look into your specific case as I just placed another order without a problem. margin is roughly 1700 per contract initial overnight w/ 1280 maintenance.

#52     Sep 26, 2006
  3. luh3417

luh3417

Are you guys on the long or short side of those futures? Anyone trade the options-on-futures? I read that these contracts are not very liquid.

#53     Sep 26, 2006
  4. Wow, I went to the CME site to look at the index methodology of the housing futures and here is what I found:

... and...

Now, I'm not too bright, but excluding new construction (current developers) and excluding condo's and co-ops (mostly retail speculators) combined with a very serious lag (two or more sales to be included???) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I was actually going expecting to find that Pabst was overreacting a bit, but now I realize he was very, very right! Is there something I'm missing, or is this as bad as it sounds???

TNG

#54     Sep 27, 2006
  5. luh3417

luh3417

I think they just mean two or more sales ever historically. So I don't see a lag here.

These guys have probably got more statistics and econometrics background than we do. They've been thinking about this for years. Why would it be in their interest to create a lame index?

#55     Sep 27, 2006
  6. Cuz they can sell it to lame customers? :eek: :p

How often is a house sold twice in the same month, year or even decade? (well, maybe twice a decade, I really don't know). So they are taking the first price sale - the second sale to determine the appreciation of the time difference between the sale, I assume. How can there not be lag in an index that's based on a 10/5/3 year average? What kind of hedge is that?

I dunno, I really don't know much about housing, but it all just seems a bit odd to me.

TNG

#56     Sep 27, 2006
  7. guy2

guy2

There's no lag because the index uses houses that sold that month and compares those sales against their previous sales. It's actually a very well constructed index. You should watch the video presentations on the CME site and the Q&A with them.

#57     Sep 27, 2006
  8. I still don't get it. When were the previous sales? If the previous sale was thirty years ago and the difference is %10, how do you know if the %10 was a steady incline over the thirty years, or the house lost value for 29 years and had a phenomenal year that year?

Essentially what you have is the average appreciation/depreciation of housing values over the average of the time between sales. I am making an assumption here, but how frequent can those sales be? Anything less than a year would have to be massively lagged, no?

I'm gonna make some popcorn now and watch those videos... thanks.

TNG

#58     Sep 27, 2006
  9. They also don't include houses that had two transactions in the last 6 months. I guess I'm looking at this the wrong way. It's not supposed to be like an equity index, it's supposed to be a long term hedging vehicle?

I still don't see how that's useful to institutions. I guess we'll have to see how well they are accepted.

TNG

#59     Sep 27, 2006
  10. guy2

guy2

You probably already have the answer if you've watched the videos but if not think of it as follows:

This month's index is made up of 30 house sales. Each house was previously sold in increments of 1 year ago. i.e. 30 sales from 1 to 30 years ago. Now do you see how they do it?

#60     Sep 27, 2006