CME Harddrive futures hit limit up today.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Figures GS is taking advantage of this.

CME Harddrive futures go limit rise to new highs

CHICAGO, November 7 - Harddrive futures on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange surged as much as the daily trading limit of $340 per terabyte. Goldman sachs taking physical delivery of 1TB disk drives causing major shortages in the global market.

* December rises daily limit early to five-week high

* January and February post contract highs

* Short covering encounters little selling interest

#11     Nov 7, 2011
  2. GTS

GTS

Jokes aside, check out hard drive prices on Newegg, I was looking for a vanilla Seagate 2TB drive to replace one failing in a RAID array, nothing earth shattering, easily available for under $100 all summer - and lo and behold everything 2TB is in the mid $200... I thought I had signed on to the wrong site for a minute (like the prices were being quoted in a different currency or something)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1305 600003269&IsNodeId=1&name=1TB and higher

Luckily I can wait, I wonder if this will affect PC prices for Black Friday and the Christmas holiday

#12     Nov 7, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Good one!

#13     Nov 7, 2011
  4. Lornz

Lornz

Yes, but this is old news. I was about to buy an external hard drive about two weeks ago and then prices tripled over night...

I thought there was something wrong with their pricing algorithms, but I was told otherwise...

#14     Nov 7, 2011
  5. Best thread yet.....

#15     Nov 7, 2011
  6. hope don't float 4dog. if you were trading hd futs like me, you would have noticed the strong trend in place and been SHORT for a majority of the move. anyways, the hd mkt is too illiquid now, i'm moving on to bananas. i'm now long enough bananas to feed every chimp on earth for a year.

#16     Nov 8, 2011
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

Now there's a contract that has a peel to me. I mean, come on, even a monkey can trade bananas!

#17     Nov 8, 2011
  8. Newegg is already limiting its HD supplies to 1 per a customer. I picked up a wd 1T external the other day at Cosco and was going to return it once I saw a Hitachi on newegg that was 50% off....missed the boat on that one....otherwise sell 5 1/4 and go long the 3 1/2

#18     Nov 8, 2011
  9. promagma

promagma

When do you think prices will peak?
    When will they start coming down?

#19     Nov 8, 2011
  10. I read 9 months to 1 year...before HDD prices go back to normal...

Western Digital did say "several quarters.."

#20     Nov 8, 2011