CME Globex moment of silence

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ChkitOut, Sep 8, 2011.

1. since globex is probably about 79% automated (guess) I'd say you'll see no change since robots dont have morals or empathy.

#11     Sep 8, 2011
  2. m22au

m22au

maybe the robots know that the events of September 11 took place on September 11, and plan to have a moment's silence on Sunday, and not on Friday 9 September.

#12     Sep 9, 2011
  3. It's a pity you don't FEEL you should out of a mark of respect NOT due to widening spreads!

SCUMBAG!

#13     Sep 9, 2011
  4. im still trying to figure out why rumsfeld cheney and bush invaded iraq

after 9/11.

#14     Sep 9, 2011
  5. Don't forget Blair

#15     Sep 9, 2011
  6. heech

heech

Okay, didn't realize it had been done before. I'll assume the sky isn't likely to fall, then.

#16     Sep 9, 2011
  7. I will observe, soon as I get the times figured out.

#17     Sep 9, 2011
  8. Interesting way to politicise robots. It would be equally valid to say that robots aren't affected by non financial factors, or non trading related inputs. Perhaps we could also say that the operators of the robots patriotically refused to let the terrorists win by voluntarily interrupting free trade.

Having examined very very closely the ES contract at 08.18 ET and the CL contract at all four "moments" I note no unusual price or volume activity to suggest any significant participation in the electronic portion of this event.

Perhaps everyone patriotically got on with their role in the free market and refused to let their participation be politicised.

I salute those who defied the terrorists and refused to change their behaviour because of the mass murder which occurred nearly ten years ago. True traders and true patriots.

I also salute those who abstained from trading as a mark of respect to the fallen and in remembrance of the freedoms for which this nation stands. In particular, the freedom to choose or not choose to observe such remembrances, the freedom to own property and conduct trade by consent rather than force.

All of those who stand for liberty should respect the rights of others and not condemn for exercising lawful self determination. All those who behave in such a manner stand united against those who would use force and fear to rule others.

#18     Sep 9, 2011
  9. heech

heech

Fwiw, I shut down my code (or more accurately, programmed it not to trade those 4 min). Not because of sentiment or fear of being called scumbag, but because I wanted to avoid market instability.

I have no problems paying respect to the memories of those lost on 9/11. But turning off automated systems isn't that simple; I'm assuming that NORAD and traffic control systems functioned normally, rather than participating in a similar display. Ask humans to participate, don't shut down (or weaken) critical pieces of infrastructure.

#19     Sep 9, 2011
  10. On Monday, September 10, 2001 the S&P 500 closed at 1052.94. Yesterday it closed at 1185.90. This market is the global equity benchmark.

In September 2001 the US 30 year bond traded between 102 and 107. In September 2011 the same instrument trades at 140. This is the long term sovereign debt of the only superpower in the world.

In September 2001 the Dollar Index traded between 116 and 118. This month it trades between 75 and 77. The currency of the United States is the reserve currency of the world.

In September 2001 a barrel of West Texas Intermediate sold for under $35. Today it sells for over twice that. We are the worlds biggest consumer of oil.

In September 2001 a bushel of corn sold for around $230. Today it sells for three times that. We are the worlds top producer and exporter of corn.

Yet the powers that be tell us there is no inflation, that our economic policies have not weakened the dollar, and that the stock market is a good investment for the public.

Something is badly wrong with America.

#20     Sep 9, 2011