CME exchanges fees in Jan 2004

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by GeorgeSoros, Nov 28, 2003.

1. cvds16

cvds16

you obviously have not seen too much of the world

#11     Nov 28, 2003

2. Actually, I lived in Stockholm Sweden for 6 years. I have travelled to China, Hi. and been in every other state in the United States more than once.

I am qualified, and I know what I am talking about.

The generalizations of the words USA and Europeans is noted...and we really do not need to get into it.

Michael B.

#12     Nov 28, 2003
  3. cvds16

cvds16

these are not exactly places i associate with quality of life. It's what your money can buy that determines quality of life and the overall "atmosphere" of the place. Things like safety count too. Or what if you can only live in small housing with no garden. Or you cant go to a decent restaurant for a decent price.
    What if you make a million but earn it on the north pole to give a stupid example.
    I have lived several countries too, and visited several others. Quality of life can not be measured by disposable income.

#13     Nov 28, 2003
  4. Your right.....I am humbled, and agree with what you say. Cultures that are more honest and the people could have a greater effect on lifestyle. I got lost a little in this thread...I do miss going to the cafes and talking about life....here in some parts of the USA we go to starbucks and stand in line. LOL

Michael B.

#14     Nov 28, 2003
  5. GeorgeSoros,

You are right if you talk geography. However, not many people will hold that Gibraltar is really a typical European state, it is one of the few European little tax heavens. The average European (Union) income tax rate hovers around 60%. Of what remains, you still get fleeced by the "value added tax". Here rates fluctuate but saying that they run away with another 15% is not unreasonable. Of what remains, you still get fleeced in a lot of other stuff: price of car and heating fuel, price of airline tickets, cost of electricity. Putting these prices next to US and even Canadian levels is very revealing. For traders, US traders are pampered by the IRS with the capital gains deals. In Europe the tax guys will twist things around adding capital gains out of trading to your normal income: taxed 60%. Up till now they haven't thought about tagging on an extra VAT of 25%.

George, don't reply by suggesting Andorra is also European.

nononsense

#15     Nov 28, 2003
  6. According to dtn, the following price changes have been announced effective Jan 1, 2004:

------------ Old Rate -------- New Rate
    ---------------------------------------------
    CBOT ------ $30.00 ----------- $35.00
    CME ------- $50.00 ----------- $30.00

#16     Nov 28, 2003
  7. I'm sorry... Quality of life is determined by much more than disposable income.
    Cleanliness, air quality, low crime rates, high percentage of educated people in the population, social benefits, safety of life to name a few. Do you really think you have quality of life if you make a lot of money but fear for your safety, if you can't walk outside your home at night, when you fear for your kids safety in school, when heinous crimes are on the rise in your city, when traffic and pollution are really terrible? There IS more to life than money, folks. And maybe the USA is where the money is, but quality of life certainly isn't!

#17     Dec 1, 2003
  8. There IS more to life than money, folks

I agree, money cannot buy these things you discuss. It can buy you freedom though.

Michael B.

#18     Dec 1, 2003
  9. wavetrader,

Before touting your convictions about less desirable quality of life in the USA, could you please tell us with which other countries or geographical regions you make this comparison? If you don't your statement remains a cheap run off the mill USA-baiting thing.

nononsense

#19     Dec 1, 2003
  10. Ditch

Ditch

To name a "few" European tax havens: Guernsey, Belgium, Holland, Gibraltar, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Luxemburg....
    Why is it that you regard yourself as an expert on "European" tax legislation, as you persist on making generic comments on this subject, that are way off as there's no such thing as "European" tax law. Nationwise Europe is a very diversified landscape, and so is the tax legislation in each country.

#20     Dec 1, 2003