CME buying CBOT for $8 Billion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by late apex, Oct 17, 2006.

1. DblArrow

DblArrow

I don't necessarily think that just because the YM is on the ECBOT it is low volume. Dow futures have been out what 1/12 to 1/15th as long. The ZN & ZB are 2 of the largest traded contracts and were on the ECBOT.

However they are behind the Eurodollar on the CME.

Make'em pretty, Chris

#11     Oct 17, 2006
  2. What a RIP OFF! Youtube was only $1.65 Billion. As if an exchange could be worth almost 5 times that amount! What were they thinking.

#12     Oct 17, 2006
  3. i never thought i would see the day..

the cultures are so different at those two exchanges, i hope it works. I'm kinda undecided whether to view this as good news or what.

#14     Oct 17, 2006
  4. Definitely!!! The attitude at CME is "rob the customers blind" while the attitude at CBOT is "gouge the customers" :D :D :D

#15     Oct 17, 2006
  5. saico

saico

If Globex goes down I could use YM for hedging over eCBOT. If they merge the Dow future into Globex this possibility will disappear. But I think they wont do this.

Saico

#16     Oct 17, 2006
  6. Neodude

Neodude

This will create a monopoly in the futures markets! I hope the regulators block the deal. Unless Goldman, Lehman or Bear speak up all the futures traders are screwed. :mad:

-Neo

#17     Oct 17, 2006
  7. Lehman is one of the two advisors to the Merc on this deal (among other financial and legal blue chips getting a nice cut, er, advising), so it's probably unlikely that they'll speak up.

#18     Oct 17, 2006
  8. RedDuke

RedDuke

Only time will tell if it is good or bad for industry. If they get too greedy and hike up the fees, there will be newcomers who will take market share from them (Eurex US was a failure, but competition never sleeps). Look at what happened to COMEX gold. They refused to make it electronic to protect privileges of members and lost 50% volume to CBOT.

#19     Oct 17, 2006
  9. faceache

faceache

Wonder if there will be a compromise with types of orders. Maybe native stops for the Dow Minis?? or even Market orders for the Globex EMini's

#20     Oct 17, 2006