Clueless Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Apr 17, 2011.

1. High grain prices are caused by market conditions, high oil prices are caused by the fact that only a small number of countries have oil and they deliberately collude and cut production to keep prices artificially high. In other words, the price of grain is driven by free market, the price of oil is de-facto set by a monopoly.

#51     Apr 18, 2011
  2. Hmm, sounds good... except for the fact that most of us live in the real world in which both republicans and democrats are doing absolutely nothing about energy independence. And even if they start today it'll take decades anyway.

Perhaps in your utopian universe if there is a theorecical solution to a problem that may take decades and trillions to implement, no practical steps need to be taken to imporove the situation today. But I'd rather give Trump a chance to lean on OPEC now while we are all waiting for your utopian dream to come true. Stop pretending that these are two mutually exclusive solutions, putting heavy pressure on OPEC and working on energy indepence at the same time is the right way to proceed.

#52     Apr 18, 2011
  3. nonsense. there are plenty of countries that ignore opec and do their own thing.
    speculators in the us have more to do with the price of gas that opec does. there is no shortage of crude on the market.

#53     Apr 18, 2011
  4. I live in the real world, and know that neither side is doing anything about the problem.

So I should not talk about what we should do?

I am not suggesting an independent candidate who will do what we need to do?

It really is up to the voters to stop the insanity...voters do have the power, as much as they don't think they do.

Trump has no leverage on OPEC.

Tell me exactly, and be specific, what Trump could do to get OPEC to do what we want?

#54     Apr 18, 2011
  5. I live in the real world, and know that neither side is doing anything about the problem. So I should not talk about what we should do?
    You don't live in a real world if knowing full well that neither side is working on a long term solution (which would take decades/billions to implement anyway), you still object to a proposal to do something about it today.

Trump has no leverage on OPEC. Tell me exactly, and be specific, what Trump could do to get OPEC to do what we want?
    Trump can drill, bomb, intimidate, bribe, release strategic oil reserves, convince, prosecute, plot a coup, boycott, divest etc, any combination of the above in no particular order. The president of the only super power does have leverage.

#55     Apr 18, 2011
  6. I live in the real world, and know that neither side is doing anything about the problem. So I should not talk about what we should do?
    You don't live in a real world if knowing full well that neither side is working on a long term solution (which would take decades/billions to implement anyway), you still object to a proposal to do something about it today.

I know neither side is doing anything, that is the real world, and I live in it...that's why I am pushing for a change...not putting my head in the sand and admitting defeat.

Trump has no leverage on OPEC. Tell me exactly, and be specific, what Trump could do to get OPEC to do what we want?
    Trump can drill, bomb, intimidate, bribe, release strategic oil reserves, convince, prosecute, plot a coup, boycott, divest etc, any combination of the above in no particular order. The president of the only super power does have leverage.

Bribe OPEC with what? You do know bribery is illegal, right?

Trump can bomb OPEC for not lowering prices?

Oh, that would work out very well....

#56     Apr 18, 2011
  7. I know neither side is doing anything, that is the real world, and I live in it...that's why I am pushing for a change...not putting my head in the sand and admitting defeat.
    Did it ever occur to you that you can push for 2 things simultaniously - long term energy independence and short term solution of increasing oil production and lowering prices. Your attempts to present it as an "either or" choice are disingenuous, it's a false dilemma.

#57     Apr 18, 2011
  8. You can dilute your efforts if you want.

I think all the attention goes to the solution, not the symptoms.

If we attack the problem on the level of the solution, the symptoms will take care of themselves.

#58     Apr 18, 2011
  9. ================
    Strange but true;
    gasoline contract closed down today.:D Lower high also.

#59     Apr 18, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Because the US imports that high priced oil?

#60     Apr 19, 2011