Cloud Computing for traders?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by SelfMadeDude, Jan 8, 2020.

1. gaussian

gaussian

Closest thing I can think of to your ask is something like TT or CQG both of which offer an in-browser replica of the desktop software.

Unless I misunderstood you, I think everyone else is assuming you need some VPS-type situation when in reality it sounds like you're asking for a "platform-as-a-service" type situation.

#11     Jan 8, 2020
  2. tsznecki

tsznecki

If you are not running anything automated, a cloud machine isn't going to offer much more benefits. You still need internet regardless of local or cloud machine.

I use DigitalOcean for personal stuff and AWS professionally(work).

#12     Jan 8, 2020
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

What your on about is remote accessing into a server right? Supposed to be able to play high end games this way with a basic PC, but slight lag if your scalping sending screen data, internet \ power fails still stuck under your automated.

#13     Jan 9, 2020
  4. d08

d08

I trade through a VPS (but automated). It can easily be done but there of course additional latency. You might just use a VNC or RDP, it's relatively straightforward.

I use DigitalOcean myself, it's probably not the best but does the job for me. As I have no GUI most of the time, I can also use one of the more cheaper packages.

#14     Jan 9, 2020
  5. d08

d08

Why would you play games using a VPS? There is additional lag and the controls would feel very sluggish. VPS are not designed for this.
    Internet and power failures are far rarer for cloud services as there are backups for almost everything.
    The lag to a broker's platform could even be less using a VPS due to routing.

#15     Jan 9, 2020
  6. When using a VPS, do I not put my trading strategy at risk?

#16     Jan 14, 2020
  7. d08

d08

Obviously not best to keep source on the VPS, bytecode isn't completely secure but far better. Logs will also have to be secured or at least kept silent, which creates other issues when you need to debug.

#17     Jan 14, 2020
  8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

@MrMuppet : Thanks for those bullet points.
    And to all that provided links.

Definitely happening in 2020.

#18     Jan 14, 2020
  9. qlai

qlai

#19     Jan 14, 2020
  10. Anyone have thoughts on www.chartvps.com ?

I like the ease of their program but am concerned that they can basically access my "Virtual PC" almost whenever they want...

And I'm not PC smart enough to create a Google VM but I am learning right now with a free trial. This stuff is not easy --- or maybe I'm not smart enough..lol

#20     Jan 25, 2020