Cloud Computing for traders?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by SelfMadeDude, Jan 8, 2020.

1. I'm new to the concept and am doing some research but...

Is it possible to trade via a cloud computer?

Sorry for the elementary-level question but I am not as tech-savvy as some of you guys and would like any guidance.

Ideally, I am thinking that I can log into my "cloud computer" via the Internet and use my broker platforms -- similar to as if I was at home?

Please advise. Thank you

2. Overnight

Overnight

Not sure about a "cloud computer" per se, but many brokers offer a collocated PC service with the machines usually housed like right there next to the exchanges you might wish to trade. Check with your broker to see if they offer the service. You log into them through the net and execute your platform (and trades) from there.

SelfMadeDude likes this.
  3. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

You're the first guy here on ET to ask this, congratulations :)

I do not understand why anyone would still trade via local machine when you can rent a VPS for a couple of bucks a month and have 99,99% uptime, stable internet, no need for UPS and so forth. You don't need expensive colocation services if you don't run sub second strategies.

Even if you use retail software install it on a VPS, run your orders there and sleep well for 15$/m

d08 likes this.
  4. MrMuppet,

Thanks for your insights.

Any good service providers you recommend?

The only one I have been able to review in-depth is Winity.

5. ZBZB

ZBZB

SelfMadeDude likes this.
  6. qlai

qlai

Multiple monitors with good graphics card? But I agree with you on the premise. One server that can be accessed from anywhere is ultimately what I would like to have.

7. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is a vps (google says Virtual private server - but do not know what that means) ? Is it a full fledged computer ? or like a more limited version with specific function ? Like only trading or something like that ?

2. you would still need a computer / local machine to access the vps correct ? So how is it better to have a local machine to access vps and also a vps ?

3. the minimum price I have seen is much more than a couple of bucks. Do not remember the exact price per month but it was much more than buying a laptop. So I did not prefer that. Could you please give some links or example where it is for a couple of bucks and what they provide for that ? (the ones I saw were AWS and Azure etc. and some other less know brands also but they were like 50 - 100 bux a month or something)

8. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

you can have multiple monitors with a VPS, too. it does literally the same as your desktop PC

9. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

1. Virtual Private Server, yes

2. Yes. It's better because you need your local PC only to control your VPS. If your internet is down, your VPS is still running and the order still live. VPS is running 24/7, so you can have your orders there, collect your own data, backtest etc. without having to reboot. If the system goes down, there is specialized staff that is able to handle the issue within a couple of minutes

If you are running critical processes on your local machine, you have to buy backup internet, backup power suply, backup hardware, backup everything, which can easily cost you thousands of dollars.

3. I pay a lot for colocation, but the VPS for my private stuff is 14.99$/month. As said, you don't need a colocation if you don't run a quote machine where sub - ms cancel/amend is critical.
    If you just want to use your TWS or NT8, the 14.99$ server with linux is fine.
    In case you don't want linux, justrent windows server 2012 or 2016 and you basically have a virtual desktop PC.

Check out Vultr.com
    I think low level VPS (25gb storage, 1gb ram, 1 core, 1TB bandwidth) is like 5$/m

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    d08 likes this.
  10. MrMuppet,

Firstly, thank you for sharing your knowledge -- really interesting food for thought in this thread.

Is there a way to determine which company is stronger in their own infrastructure against hackers?

#10     Jan 8, 2020