closing out an exchange traded spread?

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by Elitist Trader, Dec 28, 2010.

1. bone

bone

Intraday spread margin credits have alot to do with the clearing firm you choose. You should choose a major FCM whose risk management can make the necessary intraday SPAN margin allowance adjustments to your execution platform. I know for a fact that TT Pro can accomodate this - but you have to find a good FCM who is known to clear big spread traders to get it done properly.

Most more retail-oriented clearing firms will not know what the hell you are talking about. It really is crazy that you get the allowance for carrying the position overnight, but during the day they treat each position as outright risk.

#21     Feb 4, 2011
  2. so i really have to ring the chicago brokers then....no intoducing broker right?like a dorman or penson?ideally i would like a smaller broker who would in another era been a major clearer for locals on the floor so would understand the spreaders margin needs...thanks bone...like reading yr posts

#22     Feb 4, 2011
  3. The Truth is that since the beginning of XX century 90% of the most successful traders in history were/are spreaders. (on the floor or upstairs).

#23     Feb 9, 2011
  4. you can also close them as two different calendar spreads.
    FLY jun-sep-dec is equivalent to going long at
    Jun-Sep and going short at Sep-Dec.
    Trying to close spreadwise may be profitable and will virtually eliminate your risk of being net long-short

#24     Apr 1, 2011