closing my trading account today

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon,

You are not mentally nor financially ready to trade. Unless you derive pleasure in reliving your past mistakes, my suggestion to you is to acknowledge your current circumstances and pursue a profession that matches your skills and personality.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but you MUST stop your fantasizing and face reality. Cut your losses my friend . . . it's time to welcome a new challenge. :D

#71     Jun 11, 2003
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Except for death, compulsive trading has all the pitfalls of any drug addition. There is also a group for gamblers.

#72     Jun 11, 2003
  3. True Story:

My friend and I browse the local penny saver which is a local magazine for people trying to get rid of shit. Well, we'll take the free stuff and cheap stuff occasionally and then buy it and clean it up (make it look pretty) and put it on ebay. We easily make 50-100% on most things through ebay.

The best part is taking something out of a local audience and putting it before a global audience.

There is always some person out there who wants something really bad -- regardless of what the hell it is!

#73     Jun 11, 2003
  4. Boo hoo hoo -- I'm a social retard with a small dick that never gets laid and have to compensate by posting stupid ass insults on a board frequented by people much more intelligent and ambitious than me. Boo hoo hoo.

#74     Jun 11, 2003
  5. Magna

Magna Administrator

Extremely well said. Not what people want to hear. Not warm 'n cuddly. But honest, straightforward, and to the point.

#75     Jun 11, 2003
  6. silk

silk

There is nothing wrong with quitting either. If that is what your heart tells you to do, then do it. There is nothing wrong with quitting trading and doing something else. For many people this is a smart decision.

#76     Jun 11, 2003
  7. jorgemb

jorgemb

Thanks for the info. I like to think that if I stick to this long enough I'll eventually succeed and I appreciate hearing otherwise. How long did it take you to know that this was for you and that you could make a living at it?

TY
    Jorge

#77     Jun 11, 2003
  8. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Obviously the word "perseverance" doesn't have much meaning to you. How many people later succeeded in their respective professions after encountering failures along the way to success? Pro athletes, actors/actresses, business people, and yes, even traders.

And your last sentence above is asinine. There ARE traders here on ET who are successful and know what it's like to have a few bumps along the way.

#78     Jun 11, 2003
  9. TGregg

TGregg

Cuz he's still got some money. We gotta keep him in the game `til he's broke, at least. Maybe he can borrow some money as cash advance on his credit cards. . .

Just kidding of course :D. GG, I crashed out once and had to get a job, made another stake and lost it, went slightly worse than broke, had to get another job and finally I seem to be on my way. This time I was way better funded, way better technology, way lower expectations, way more patience. Way more everything expect dreams of millions in months.

Everybody is giving you advice, so I guess I will as well. For now (at least) forget about the markets and concentrate on developing some skills to earn a living. Once you've established yourself, you can consider the idea of trading once again. You're probably too young to know this yet (I know I was), but throughout the rest of your life you will go through periods of intense introspection as you determine what you should be doing with the rest of your life. This happens about every ten years or so, and usually about the even numbers (20 years old for instance - about when you decided to be a trader).

So, go earn a living. Develop skills that are in high demand. Do something fairly fun, and definitely challenging. There's plenty to learn, and soak up as much as you can. Then, about five years from now (I know, that seems like forever - but it will be over before you know it), you will reexamine yourself, and decide if you should repursue trading.

You may. You may not. You may try swing trading, or fundamental investment. Who knows, you may even decide to (God forbid) listen to analysts. :D

For what it's worth, there's my advice to ya. I'm reminded of an old adage about advice - that's it's worthless because "Wise men don't need it and fool's won't heed it." `Course, that does not take into account most of us average folks. :D

#79     Jun 11, 2003
  10. House: paid for by trading.

7K of watches: paid for by trading.

Living room/Roof/New Boiler/etc: paid for by trading.

2 cars: paid for by trading.

All I DID was believe I could do it

Tell me master, what else is there?

#80     Jun 11, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.