closing/deleting legitmate "chit chat" threads

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Gordon Gekko, Jan 31, 2003.

1. the above is from the now closed and soon to be deleted mrmarket thread. the thread currently has 36 pages, 215 replies, and 6357 views.

babak, nothing personal.. but my question is, WHY IS IT CLOSED AND SOON DELETED?! i have no problem at all with it being moved to chit chat. but once in chit chat, who determines what is of value and what is not? if i and others find the thread nothing but humorous, is that not good enough reason to let it live? i argue just about every day with 777 and aphie about religion, but those threads never get closed (not saying they should be). why is that ok but chatting with mrmarket is not?

i've said this before, but, why can't we users determine what we're interested in? if nobody posts in a thread, there is no interest and it goes away. if a thread continues to get replies, obviously there is interest, so why close it? everyone here is capable of not clicking on threads they're not interested in. i love it when guys pop into a thread and say, "close this thread! it sucks!" how about you just don't click on it!? as if that wasn't enough, we're also able to put people on ignore. why is this not enough?

i'm not saying there is never a time to close/delete threads. obvious spam threads should be deleted. but imo, most non-spam threads that have interest should not be closed. the mrmarket thread had 6357 views in just a few days. if that thread is something nobody wants, why did so many people click on it?!

it's all very simple... if you don't like what's on the radio, change the station!!!!! don't take the station off the air and ruin it for those that DO want to listen to it!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

2. sammybea

sammybea

i have to agree with you. If its in chit chat, and has that much response, why play power hungry censors? I realize this is baron's site.. but its just a little too much censorship for me to stomach. Whats next? Exactly how many posts do you delete cause you don't agree with. It almost makes me think that hitman was wrongfully kicked off the site with this power hungry moderator system that has been set up.

Actually now that i think about it, how do i sign up :D

3. here's more from babak's same post:

WHAAAAAT!?

babak, do you really think anyone here needs to be told who has credibility?! i think we can figure this out on our own and based on our own individual values. if someone is not credible to me, i just don't really pay attention to their posts.

anyone with even the slightest intelligence can understand the consequences of only closing out winning positions and holding on to losers. i don't think it would work either, but if mrmarket wants to do it and talk about, let him. and if people find it humorous in the process, what's wrong with that?

he should also not be told to leave ET or act a way you want him to.

again, nothing personal, babak. i just disagree with you on this..

i should run for president

4. Babak

Babak

GG,

to answer your questions/comments

Q:Why close/erase?

A:Because the thread digressed to such a degree that it became a flame war with disgusting language used on both sides. Actually, the thread started out with a provocative and unrelated (to trading) post. The whole thread is a waste of time/space as it contains nothing of value related to trading. Nor is it Chit-Chat (if your definition of Chit-Chat excludes insults)

Q:do you really think anyone here needs to be told who has credibility?!

A:I think you misread my post. I wasn't telling anyone who has or doesn't have credibility. I said that mrmarket was losing credibility by the way he was behaving. That is stating my personal opinion. As well, the whole message was addressed to mr.market.

Q:he should also not be told to leave ET or act a way you want him to

A:I am not asking him to 'act the way I want him to' I am asking him to act within the limits of the ET community. That's part of the thankless job of being a moderator.

But after everything, you and others are totally free to have views other than mine. The real question is why was it relegated to Chit Chat rather than the moderator of the Trading forum taking appropriate steps.

The Chit Chat forum is not a dumping ground for garbage threads.

5. I agree. If you feel that a thread is going no where, by all means close it. However, why delete the entire thread? That is just a tad bit extreme, isn't it? The hundred or two kilobytes that it takes up on a 100 gig hard-drive are inconsequential. Even in a landfill, there is probably a small gem somewhere.

Also, keep in mind that "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Please don't delete the thread. Remember the scene from Schindler's List -- "Power? You think Power is the ability to have a man executed? No. True power is when you have every reason to kill a man but spare his life -- that is power."

In closing, I will quote Voltaire

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

6. The Hobbit Babak stars in the new film, "Lord of the Sewers!" This action packed film, staring psychopathic schizophrenics like Vinny and narcissistic Warton Ken Dolls named Mr. Market (Featured star in Mario Brothers Nintendo Game as Mario!!!) is a special effects film featuring the very best of the trash that is dumped from other areas into the chit-chat garbage compost area where underpaid, underappreciated and censor happy hobbits reside!!!

7. Quote from Babak:

But after everything, you and others are totally free to have views other than mine.

agreed.

The real question is why was it relegated to Chit Chat rather than the moderator of the Trading forum taking appropriate steps.

imo, moving it to chit chat was the appropriate action.

The Chit Chat forum is not a dumping ground for garbage threads.

see, this is the problem. one man's treasure is another man's trash. being the moderator that you are, you are given the ability to decide what is treasure and what is not. but not everyone is going to agree with you. so why not just let harmless threads be and let us all individually decide on our own what we think is of value? we can all do this by clicking or not clicking on threads.

8. Coming soon to the trash compost area of chit-chat is the gollum creature Gordon who seeks the fabled ring of Babak. Gordon, who is often found rubbing something under the desk while whispering, "My precious!!!" is after the fabled ring! Will he get it? Will he defeat the censor-happy hobbit Babak for the fabled ring??

9. aphie, are you ok?:D

10. nkhoi

nkhoi

Gordon: 1 moderator:0
    keep it up Mr G. you are my official voice on this matter. Together we shall over come.

#10     Jan 31, 2003