Close Election in Israel

Discussion in 'Politics' started by daniel_m, Jan 29, 2003.

1. :D

i'm sure traderfut must be overjoyed to see Likud back in power...

what a clear message to the palestinians though -- terror tactics will not be tolerated!

(and let's not forget the palestinians started this crap back in 2000, before Sharon came to power..)

rs7, too bad buddy, i bet you were yearning for a Mitzna victory...

2. Just like rs7, I too was hoping for Amran Mitzna... Sharon is a disaster... Amran is the only glimmer of hope for Israeli stability, in my view... I sincerely hope that Amran sticks to his principles and does not join with Sharon in a government of "national unity" (this concept of "national unity" is just a smokescreen for Likud's continued stranglehold on the levers of power)... part of the reason why Labor did so badly (down about a third) was because its voice was muted in the previous alliance... add to that the emergence of Tommy Lapid's Shinui Party (with only a 4 seat deficit on Labor) and I am (retrospectively) not surprised Labor had its ass kicked by Likud...

It will be interesting to see whether Sharon opts for the ultra-Orthodox parties or for Shinui, given that Shinui has said that under no conditions will it work with the ultra-Orthodox...