CLoNiNG

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Gordon,

You are free to call my beliefs whatever you want.

Part of my belief system includes giving people the right to their own opinion.

Since God has granted his children freedom of choice, why should I stand in their way?

#41     Dec 29, 2002
  2. you've asked some major, great questions. i can't get into them all right now..but..

imo, our brains are who we are. i'm not a believer in souls at all. if you don't have a brain or it is not working, imo you're just a bunch of body parts. so i would say it's ok to harvest individual body parts..or maybe even grow a full body with no brain. lol i dunno if that'll be possible..

as far as the right to do this stuff. it all comes down to ethics. i think ethics are started from religious beliefs. however, as more and more people become not religious (which WILL happen), then it really comes down to what society deems to be acceptable. BUT, just remember that science will not be held back. for example, say the usa passes laws against cloning and genetic engineering. then say some other country does not have those restrictions and creates a super smart race. the usa will just lose. it will be survival of the fittest as it has always been.

#42     Dec 29, 2002
  3. stu

stu

but you can and do make definitive statements ? or should we just leave it at.... you believe in god (perfectly acceptable) and leave YOUR definitive statements that God does exist out of it too?
    you couldn't get more condescending if you tried. You should consider that more rational people can't look up to something that doesn't get off the launch pad in the first place

People who practice faith imply they have a 'truth' or 'understanding' which only they can understand. Nothing level there but downright slanted and full of presumed but wholly undeserved virtue

And Again.........

"the right to their own opinion" oh yeah?? especially on 'judgment day' ? I don't think so. This stuff just doesn’t get past go. Let me remind you that which you so easily selectively and conveniently forget. "All will be rewarded accordingly". your own implied threat I think. No free will if you want to be seen to have been "good". Nonsense, grown ups being childish and immature more like.
    you just can't help yourself now. Down comes the blind part of the faith. Say someone else is making definitive statements when it is YOU who makes more than any. It appears from your reasoning that you couldn't recognise a God if it hit you in the cassocks - should reasoning be your benchmark.

It is open minded free thinking people who recognise the good possible in humanity itself and who also tolerate religious faiths. Churches through Religion subjugate tolerance of others. Then say at the same time they don't. Just like you have done Option .

#43     Dec 29, 2002

4. You sure have a bunch of issues with religion, sorry.

I'll pray for you.

#44     Dec 29, 2002
  5. stu

stu

Now don't do that pray thing Option you will waste your time and you will insult my intelligence. and thanks but no thanks for yet another condescension in your "sorry".

These aren't "issues" they are points which question things we are led to blindly believe or understand.
    I now understand you can't understand that simple fact ,nor are you able to confront the hard issues you refer to.
    However, I do wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year and that it may bring you a little more understanding :)

#45     Dec 29, 2002
  6. i know that was directed at stu, but..

praying = talking to one's self (if it makes you feel better, fine.)

#46     Dec 29, 2002
  7. I am always in favor of greater understanding between those of differing opinions.

#47     Dec 29, 2002
  8. stu

stu

but better understanding comes from discussion without the definitives you made and you referred to. To openly discuss the problems flaws weakness of a proposition to strengthen it or debunk it. Nothing you have done up to here confirms to me that you are in favor of greater understanding. You are and you aren't at the same time !

#48     Dec 29, 2002
  9. Truly, you and I are not the same.

My guess is that it would take quite a long time to come to an agreement point at which to start a discussion from on this topic.

You have your first assumptions upon which your world view is built, and I have mine......and those assumptions are clearly not the same.

To each their own.

Cause and effect is in play, each will be rewarded accordingly.

#49     Dec 29, 2002
  10. stu

stu

No. Not each will be rewarded accordingly. You cannot state that as a known. There may well just be NO reward at all for all any one knows :)

I try hard not to enter debate with precepts but I do hold principles, I try hard to discuss the content and substance. I try not to assume yet always when I talk to the religious , assumptions are flooded at me. I have nothing to prove I have all to discuss. I think it is wrong that religions assume the truth. By any evidence I can find they most definately do no such thing.

#50     Dec 29, 2002