CLoNiNG

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Get used to cloning cause you ain't gonna hold back science. NO WAY, NO HOW. You can line up a THOUSAND GODS AND ALLAHS IN OPPOSITION... aint gonna matter.

You aint gonna stop the flow of knowledge or technology on something as weak as a God. (if there is a god and he is so powerful why dont he stop it:D) Get real..You are gonna need a hellava lot more than a fairy tale to stop true reliable understanding....(thank god) hahahaha:D

#11     Dec 28, 2002
  2. Yes, cloning is scary......

Can you imagine?????

#12     Dec 28, 2002
  3. cloning is not a moral issue. it is how the cloning is used that enters the realm of morality.

surfer:cool:

#13     Dec 28, 2002
  4. Cloning is not a moral issues?

According to whose concept of morality?

Morality involves the concept of right and wrong behavior, all behavior.

morality

\Mo*ral"i*ty\, n.; pl. Moralities. [L. moralitas: cf. F. moralit['e].] 1. The relation of conformity or nonconformity to the moral standard or rule; quality of an intention, a character, an action, a principle, or a sentiment, when tried by the standard of right.

The morality of an action is founded in the freedom of that principle, by virtue of which it is in the agent's power, having all things ready and requisite to the performance of an action, either to perform or not perform it. --South.

2. The quality of an action which renders it good; the conformity of an act to the accepted standard of right.

Of moralitee he was the flower. --Chaucer.

I am bold to think that morality is capable of demonstration. --Locke.

3. The doctrines or rules of moral duties, or the duties of men in their social character; ethics.

The end of morality is to procure the affections to obey reason, and not to invade it. --Bacon.

The system of morality to be gathered out of . . . ancient sages falls very short of that delivered in the gospel. --Swift.

4. The practice of the moral duties; rectitude of life; conformity to the standard of right; virtue; as, we often admire the politeness of men whose morality we question.

5. A kind of allegorical play, so termed because it consisted of discourses in praise of morality between actors representing such characters as Charity, Faith, Death, Vice, etc. Such plays were occasionally exhibited as late as the reign of Henry VIII. --Strutt.

6. Intent; meaning; moral. [Obs.]

Taketh the morality thereof, good men. --Chaucer.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

morality

n 1: concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct [ant: immorality] 2: motivation based on ideas of right and wrong [syn: ethical motive, ethics, morals]

#14     Dec 28, 2002
  5. EEEEEK... I CHANGED MY MIND...CLONING IS VERY VERY BAD THING:D :D

#15     Dec 28, 2002
  6. P. Niss

P. Niss

ROTFLMAO !!!

Kinda like the body snatchers when Sutherland beat his pod in the head and later it was a dog with a human's head attached.

AphexClone . . . . . run like hell!

#16     Dec 28, 2002
  7. wild

wild

"[The church] speaks to the human heart and magnifies the voice of human conscience. She seeks to educate and ennoble people so that they accept responsibility for themselves and for others. In the context of the community of nations, the church's message is simple yet absolutely crucial for the survival of humanity and the world: The human person must be the true focus of all social, political and economic activity."

Pope John Paul II's address to the 50th session
    of the U.N. General Assembly Oct. 5, 1995

"Everything that happened in Eastern Europe in these last few years would have been impossible without the presence of this pope."

Former Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev

#17     Dec 29, 2002
  8. jaan

jaan

FYI: the signs of pregnancy (changed hormone levels, nausea, missed period) don't usually develop until much later. you're not a father yourself are you.

- jaan

#18     Dec 29, 2002
  9. I don't think it is presumptious to believe in god. A belief, by its very nature, means that you rely on faith. Now if I said, "I know there is a god," then I am stating that god is provable through scientific fact. Beliefs are generally those things that cannot be tested or proven while facts are generally recognized through reproducable results through experimentation.

I know that some things are provable, yet I also believe that some things are not.

Whatever made that rock moved can be attributed to the set physics that were introduced within our universe, and that knowledge resides in an area outside of testability. If you pick up a rock and throw it, you are able to do so because of physical laws which god created that allow your mind to have control over your muscles -- not to mention that very atoms within your hand that are able to impart energy into the rock.

What is the truth to absolute knowledge? Why does man seek out knowledge on a daily basis and in deeper depths? If your purpose is to seek a level of existence in a mortal life where you are in absolute happiness, than "appropriate knowledge" to you would be anything that helps you reach this goal. The pursuit for knowledge is useless unless we understand and acknowledge the underlying drives for doing so -- why seek out deeper knowledge of the universe? What is the ultimate goal of that pursuit? I would argue that the ultimate drive beneath science is to uncover the most basic of all forces/links into the operations of the universe. In other words, the end of science will be that wall of "not knowing" and science will forever be trying to find a window within that wall to see the very thing that, although unable to test, science demands to know.

That is a good point, although that point is only valid in my opinion if you consider that science and religion are incompatible. I don't think "god" ever intended for humans to just "give up" on seeking knowledge. The very fact that it is impossible to prove god's existence is also a very good reason why science is driven so hard.

Imagine if it could be proven, in some way or another, that there was a god and all you had to do was accept him and go to this great place called heaven for eternity. Wouldn't man just sit on his ass and do the bare minimum in anticipation of such an event?

Instead, he has amazingly sprinkled enough ontological evidence to suggest his existence without giving away the entire gig. I will admit that there are deep problems with all the world's religions, but such problems do not nullify god's existence.

#19     Dec 29, 2002
  10. Again, what necessitates god to intervene in anything? You are applying your own human ideals on a "thing" that is beyond logic and reason.

Knowledge is all well and great, but even if you knew everything, where would that get you? I'm going to wave my magic wand and suddenly Longshot now knows everything there is to know about the universe. Is there one question you can now think of that your absolute knowledge could not answer? This goes back to Godel.

#20     Dec 29, 2002