Cloning a hard drive

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by CoralReef, Aug 13, 2008.

1. I do not recommend cloning. Problem files can be saved and reinstalled everytime you reimage. The best you can do is do it the long way, erase the drive with multiple methods and reinstall software one by one. Can OEM or retail software have hacks built-in? Of course, but unless you want to use the ultimate hack-proof tool that is 100% effective (turning it off) then you have to fight battles you can win.

#31     Oct 20, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

What you said about "problem files" is true, but there is more to the story. Cloning is still valuable in a backup routine.

#32     Oct 20, 2008
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

Cloning has saved my ass so many times during the last 12 years.

#33     Oct 20, 2008
  4. IWB

IWB

HD Clone. Free if you clone to a larger drive (natural enough in this world of ever cheaper capacity) then run "DISKPART" (its a DOS throwback included in you windows owners platforms) to stretch the partition to the new drives full size. If you want to pay then still HD Clone, the slicker pay versions are arbitrary sizing, SCSI and dynamic drive capable.
    Under no circumstance use Acronis snap-deploy or other enterprise tooling unless you have money to burn or are a user of "ahoy there me hearties" software. Sledgehammer and nut comes to mind.
    Cloning plus spindle media image backups is good discipline if the installation in use is making money for you!

#34     Nov 12, 2008