Clone monitor to record trading??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John47, Feb 16, 2009.

1. John47

John47

Ok, here's the deal:

I've been trying to figure out how to use screen recording software to record and review my trading during certain times of the day. Camtasia seems to be the standard software for doing this.

The problem is I can't really sacrifice any performance on my trading machine. I'm a scalper and machine performance and my own speed are vital. So I don't want to do anything that could impact that at all.

I'm not exceptionally tech savvy so I'm hoping someone could help me here:

Is there a way, on a separate PC, I could setup a 'clone' monitor of my main trading screen and record that? I'm sure I could use "gotomypc" but if possible, I'm wondering if there's a way I could just have my screen show on another monitor, and use another computer to record that screen? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. elguapo

elguapo

i had this problem.

if you just download 'vnc' and put it on your trading computer, then put it on a pos to record, you're fine. It would be nice if you have screens the exact same size.

the problem i ran into was when you have a setup that has executions on a dedicated line and charting on another. thats kind of a pain in the ass. i mean then you have your execution computer but thats not connected to the internet...

but if you got everything running on an internet line, that makes this a lot easier.

3. elguapo

elguapo

so basically if you have everything running on the internet, grab the screen you wanna record and put vnc on that machine.

then have a separate machine and monitor, put vnc on that. use this machine to have your main screen cloned/vnc and you can just record with camtasia on that. shouldn't cause a performance problem hell all of our screens are vnc'ed by the risk manager so it couldn't possibly slow you down if at all.

4. hmm, share with us your secret. Why do you want to do this