Climate Change

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Humpy, Dec 15, 2007.

1. This is just plain stupid. The work of climate scientists leading to the IPCC reports are not Al Gore's "theories". Al Gore does not pretend to write scientific papers - he is campaigning to draw attention to climate change.

The originally linked reference was to what purported to be a scientific study of the views of climate scientists. Without publication so that other qualified or interested parties can examine the methods used to draw conclusions, such a "study" has no value and no credibility.

#11     Dec 16, 2007
  2. I've no interest in the original linked reference, I was just questioning whether publishing really leads to credibility.
    I had read that Gore's crusade was based on published research that said that the 90s was the hottest decade in the century when in fact the 30s was. Is that not the case?

#12     Dec 16, 2007
  3. nitro

nitro

This worries me:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1654488,00.html

1.5 billion Chinese raising their standard of living will want to fly more often. 1.2 billion Indians doing the same will want to travel more often.

While I believe that the developed world is coming to the right consensus on human forced global warming, I believe that air travel will pose one of the few hard problems to solve when it comes to reducing CO2 emmissions, as that article points out.

Boeing, Airbus, General Electric, United Technologies, Rolls-Royce, etc, need to work hard on a solution pronto. Not only will it be hugely profitable for them, it is the right thing to do.[Airline co's stock will be a benefactor of more fuel efficient airplanes.]

nitro

#13     Dec 16, 2007
  4. Humpy

Humpy

I don't want to panic anyone but just in case they are right about the climate warming up, here is a couple of facts:-
    1. The icecap at the North pole is expected to have melted ( in summer ) not in 50 years as previously thought but in under next 10 years !
    2. If or when both ice caps melt the sea level will have risen 150 feet. So anyone living near the sea may like to check out if their property is under this level ?
    Surely not the Hamptons too ? Well yes actually, barring a miracle or high wall.

#14     Dec 16, 2007
  5. I live in the upper midwest, usa and I'm telling you it is cold, cold, cold up here and we need some heat.

If some of the coastal cities have to go by the wayside, well, I guess that's a sacrifice that we're willing to make.

#15     Dec 16, 2007
  6. nitro

nitro

You know, if I were a scientist working on eradicating human forced global warming, I would invent an additive to fuel so that instead of rising after being burned in combustion engines, etc, it would fall to the ground after expulsion from the exhaust (you wouldn't implement this solution for airplanes for obvious reasons). Or perhaps invent a catalytic converter that did the same thing. Come to think of it, why don't airplanes have the equivalent of a catalytic converter? This would pose different problems to the environment (maybe), but I believe they would not be as bad as the alternative reality we have now. All we would need is one good rain a day.

I bet someone has already thought of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Again, the company that makes the killer catalytic converter in the face of global warming, makes lots of money.

nitro

#16     Dec 16, 2007
  7. I'm trying to live in the same conditions. Over the past 5 winters in my area, water pipes burst and septic systems freeze up. No one recalls that ever happening before.

Ski resort operators are pleased this winter with excellent skiing conditions that have arrived 2 weeks earlier than in the 50 year history of at least one ski resort. Heating bills are outrageous , several thousand dollars.

Too many of us are wishing to move south at least for the winters.

Guess: 2007 or 1922?

"Arctic Ocean Getting Warm; Seals Vanish and Icebergs Melt."

"at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared."
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20070814/NATION02/108140063

Last summer, NASA quietly revised US temperatures with 1934 being the hottest not 1998. Four of the ten hottest years are from the 1930's.

#17     Dec 16, 2007
  8. Why is it that when other planets experience a warming trend, a change in solar activity receives the credit, but on earth, global warming has to be a man-made phenomenon?

- Spydertrader

#18     Dec 16, 2007
  9. For the United States. Globally the situation is different:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/14/2118546.htm

#19     Dec 16, 2007
  10. because we aren't taxed enough.. we need a new tax... a global carbon tax.

#20     Dec 16, 2007