Cleveland to recoup demolition costs

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Wallace, Nov 15, 2011.

1. on the CBC 'National' news program last night there was a piece by a reporter visiting
    Cleveland which apparently was worst hit for forelcosures in the US

'Cleveland City Council passes law to recoup demolition costs and hold property
    owners accountable' updated: Nov 14, 2011 5:36 PM PST

"DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - In the midst of the foreclosure crisis
    and more than $25 million in tax dollars spent to maintain and demolish negligent
    properties, Cleveland City Council passed two ordinances at their Monday, Nov 14
    meeting: (Ord. 1519-11) seeks to recoup demolition costs and the second ordinance
    (Ord. 1520-11) requires companies that sell property in Cleveland to register and
    identify a point of contact with the State of Ohio.

"Cleveland razed more than 4,300 structures since 2008," said Ward 16 Councilman
    Jay Westbrook. "The average cost to demolish a condemned property in Cleveland is
    between $6,000 and $7,000.""

the council man the reporter spoke to said that 10,000 properties in Cleveland had
    been identified for demolition

houses from . . . starting bid $6,000
    http://www.gohoming.com/search-results.htm?fullPropAddress=CLEVELANDOH&type=reo-properties

how about Detroit, Listing Price: $219
    http://www.gohoming.com/search-results.htm?fullPropAddress=DETROITMI&type=reo-properties

2. How bad is Cleveland. That house for 6K does not seem to bad at all.

3. "The average cost to demolish a condemned property in Cleveland is between $6,000 and $7,000.""

----------------

I hope these municipalities choke on the demolition cost. Go cry your river to the epa. The landfill fee is probably >5k.

Even the landfills are in debt and losing money thanks to bonds and regulations, etc.

4. Do you really want to live there or be a slumlord there? :confused: :eek: :(

5. Poems from Prison

My landlord wanted the rent money.

I shot him.

The end.