Classic attack the messenger....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Jul 6, 2006.

1. (Wonder why Ann the "legal expert" didn't immediately file a lawsuit for damages? Maybe because the claims of her plagiarism aren't false...)

Ann Coulter's response to NY Post plagiarism charges: "How crappy a newspaper is the Post?"

In her July 5 nationally syndicated column, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter appeared to respond to charges, first reported in a July 2 New York Post online article, that there are several instances of "textbook plagiarism" in her latest book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism, and in her weekly columns. Coulter wrote simply: "How crappy a newspaper is the Post? Let me put it this way: It's New York's second-crappiest paper."

The Post reported:

John Barrie, the creator of a leading plagiarism-recognition system, claimed he found at least three instances of what he calls "textbook plagiarism" in the leggy blond pundit's "Godless: the Church of Liberalism" after he ran the book's text through the company's digital iThenticate program.

He also says he discovered verbatim lifts in Coulter's weekly column, which is syndicated to more than 100 newspapers, including the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Sun-Sentinel and Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle.

Coulter did not actually deny the charge -- she did not even use the word "plagiarism" -- but instead guessed that "the Post's constant harassment" is "an attempt to shake me down for protection money," adding: "I have sold a LOT of books -- more books, come to think of it, than any writers at the New York Post."

From Coulter's column:

Once considered a legitimate daily, the Post has been reduced to tabloid status best known for Page Six's breathless accounts of Paris Hilton's latest ruttings, and headlines like "Vampire Teen -- H.S. Girl Is Out for Blood." How crappy a newspaper is the Post? Let me put it this way: It's New York's second-crappiest paper.

Maybe the Post's constant harassment of me is an attempt to shake me down for protection money like they did with billionaire businessman Ron Burkle. I have sold a LOT of books -- more books, come to think of it, than any writers at the New York Post.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200607060002

2. Typical Troglodyte response...

This is a textbook Karl Rove tactic; avoid defending the indefensible by attacking the messenger. It diverts the discussion while avoiding complex lies which could come back to bite you.

This confirms two things in my mind; Ann is another Karl Rove sock puppet...and she really DID plagiarize the passages in question.

* - nerzog / Thursday July 6, 2006 10:58:57 AM EST
    * - Reply to this comment / Flag this comment

3. Guilty as charged

Silence may be considered an admission of fault when the accused fails to refute an allegation made against her that a reasonable person in her position would be expected to deny.

* - heru / Thursday July 6, 2006 12:49:32 PM EST
    * - Reply to this comment / Flag this comment

4. Zzzz, have you added "Godless" to your Coulter collection?