Claim: George W. Bush would have endorsed Obama if asked

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Range Rover, Nov 11, 2010.

1. http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/blogs/the_angle/2010/11/george_w_bush_w.html

Claim: George W. Bush would have endorsed Obama if asked

By Rob Anderson

This can't be true, right?

According to an item published on the Financial Times's website, this happened when a group of British dignitaries visited George W. Bush in the White House in the middle of the 2008 presidential election:

Trying to be even-handed and polite, the Brits said something diplomatic about McCain’s campaign, expecting Bush to express some warm words of support for the Republican candidate.
    Not a chance. “I probably won’t even vote for the guy,” Bush told the group, according to two people present. “I had to endorse him. But I’d have endorsed Obama if they’d asked me.”

Endorse Obama? Cue dumbfounded look from British officials, followed by some awkward remarks about the Washington weather. Even Gordon Brown’s poker face gave way to a flash of astonishment.

Over at AOL News, David Knowles suggests that there may be evidence in Bush's new book that the then-president favored Obama over McCain. "In 'Decision Points,' Bush's newly released memoir, the former president makes no bones about the fact that of the two candidates, he much preferred the way Obama handled the news of the financial sector meltdown."

Of course, if the report is true, it's worth pointing out that even if Bush would have wanted to endorse Obama, it's doubtful that Obama would have even wanted it. There's a reason he didn't ask.

2. the former president makes no bones about the fact that of the two candidates, he much preferred the way Obama handled the news of the financial sector meltdown."
    ------------------------

McCain was uncooperative, chosing (almost) to make a political issue and f up Paulson's plan for TARP. While Obama, ever the novice, asked questions and deferred to those who know/knew better. Obviuosly the financial crisis was beyond Bush expertise too, but Bush knew enough that McCain could derail TARP by delay and various election grandstanding. I suppose McCain was just being McCain the "maverick". Nothing new here.

3. Range Rover likes anyone, including Bush, a man he hates, if they like his hero Obama. [​IMG]

4. This whole "claim" is a lie. I wonder how much Obama paid for it?