CL

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by masterm1ne, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ok, so every knows CL is a bitch and here is why:

fuck.png

My auto stop is set .25 cents away from entry. This moved happened in under 2 minutes and I was filled 16 cents lower than where my hard stop was at the WORST POSSIBLE TICK. Honestly I want to plant a bomb in CL exchange / the black box HFT. CL has been grinding slow and steady for DAYS and then this. The whips normally happen at close or open and they are not like this at random times.

I guess I really can't be angry, though this cost me now 1k dollars I should have got back in long but once you see that shit how can you? How can you just jump in again thinking "oh yea I was right" not to just get shit on again in the next 2 minutes? Of course price defaults to it's grind the rest of the day.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. WildBill

WildBill

I feel your pain. Maybe look at the TF. Similar overall moves and value, but usually a little more behaved.

3. Saber

Saber

You clearly do not know what you are doing. It was inventory day, never trade before a news event!

4. Handle123

Handle123

Usually Wednesdays and sometimes Thursday if Monday a holiday, 10:30cdt is the big day of EIA Petroleum Status Report Crude Oil. http://mam.econoday.com/

Some of us just wait for the report to come out and sort of fade it at some point, think rubberband.

I don't know why we all have to learn the hard way, but we do....

5. I was TF but forced into CL due to 100$ / month fee, not that that's really much it just illogical to pay that when other exchanges are 1$

6. ktmtrader

ktmtrader

You trade and you don't know when the CRUDE OIL INVENTORY REPORT comes out? Its on Wednesdays at 10.30AM NY time, if its a short week due to a holiday like next week then Thursday at 11AM.

Never ever trade before the inventory reports. Also there is another report that comes out on Tuesdays at 4.30PM - keep an eye out for that also.

You need to consult this every morning before you put on a position: http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/economic-calendar

7. Xela

Xela

It does, once a week.

Please excuse my mentioning that it's slightly ironic: many people choose CL to trade precisely because there are so few scheduled fundamental events causing dramatic spikes in it. In fact, there are normally only about 5 minutes out of the whole week that you shouldn't trade CL, and those are the exact 5 minutes your chart illustrates ... o_O

Handle123 likes this.