CL trading: educational resources

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by nonlinear5, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I've been trading the ES for quite a while, and would like to diversify to the CL. My ES strategies are fully automated, and so would be my CL strategies. My plan is to run both the ES and the CL strategies concurrently, for a (hopefully) smoother equity curve.

So, I'd like to know everything there is to know about CL. The major players in the market, the typical patterns of price and volatility, the day-trading patterns and styles, the effect of geo-political events, the intricacies of CL pricing with respect to calendar spreads and contract expiration, the correlation to other markets. In a word, I'd like to know everything.

My preference would be one thick book, but if there are good online resources, I'd take them, too. Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. Here is how a typical Major Player looks like:

[​IMG]

collective image,ofcourse

3. bone

bone

Since over the past two years there has been a 91.8 % positive correlation daily close-to-close between CL and ES, there might not be the "diversification" you are seeking. Just a thought.

Is your automation strategy sampling just price points in terms of data ? The reason I ask is that you wanted to know "everything" about CL. If you are considering other news worthy fundamentals then the weekly DoE and EIA releases should be on the top of your list.

In the energy space, expect that commercials and producers will be much better informed on a much earlier timeframe than you are if you are using data for your trading system other than the CL contract price prints. Count on it, in fact.