CL Spreads

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by shep1487, May 21, 2010.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Calendars....all model based. No mean reversion.

#121     May 2, 2017
    jokertrader likes this.
  2. so these are modeling the curve to say.. this calendar is undervalued or overvalued compared to others - so go long/short
    or
    is the modeling incorporating technical analysis
    or
    both

I can message you as well

#122     May 2, 2017
  3. bone

bone

When you have properly constructed and modeled a spread trade, you make an entry based upon your expectation for the delta or "spread" between the instruments to either converge or diverge.

It's a game within a game.

#123     May 10, 2017
    jokertrader likes this.
  4. I trade predominately futures spreads and the main influence on whether or not I enter the market – crude oil or otherwise – is how closely the spread is tracking its seasonal tendency. I look at a spread’s 15-yr. history and if it’s been correct at least 80% of the time (at least 12 of the last 15 years) within a specific period of time, I’ll take a closer look at each year to seek out any particular figures that will further influence my decision as to whether or not I enter the market. I use data from a company by the name of Moore Research Center (www.mrci.com). Moore Research (MRCI) is a registered Commodity Trading Advisor (CTA) specializing in seasonal research. I would say it would be well worth any spread trader’s time to look them up.

#124     Aug 8, 2017
    TraDaToR likes this.
  5. MRCI and Seasonalgo are based on seasonal patterns in spreads.. history is the guide here.. as any other future trader.. i like to trade the here and now and the setup I see.. hence my hesitance with this style of trading.. to me its more an educated gamble based on parameters following past history.. (these are for the ones that track the historical patterns.. of course need to weed out current trends that do not follow historical patterns).. what is probably (and i say probably since i dont have experience) is to see if there are any anomalies comparing the forward curve or other associated products for an arbitrage opportunity.... only issue here is there is no information and no systematic approach that is clearly documented for the retail trader (maybe this is what Bone and others have done using their technical indicators or automated data analysis routine).. i am trying to setup CQG data into Excel and write a macro to automate this analysis (probably easier using R or so).. reason i am posting is if there are others in the same scenario.. please reach out so we can discuss further

#125     Feb 20, 2018
  6. bone

bone

There’s a lot more consistent approach to Trading spreads than using “ seasonals ” in the traditional sense of the term. You can model Spread behavior.

Besides - for CL the forward curve is much more supply vs demand responsive than seasonal per se.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    #126     Feb 20, 2018
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

#127     Apr 1, 2018
  8. Old thread but wondering if anyone here trading CL spreads/flys daily...not necessarily intraday to exchange thoughts on refining a relative value process

#128     Feb 4, 2019
  9. bin_here

bin_here

Hi i have been trading calendar spreads and flies of CL and Brent crude for the past 11 years now..Will be happy to exchange ideas ..

#129     Apr 3, 2019
  10. bin_here

bin_here

Hi Bone ..can you please elaborate what you meant by model spread behavior..

#130     Apr 3, 2019