CL is wild :-(

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraderSU, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Arjun1

Arjun1

NG is even wilder. I lost 5k in like 3 seconds last week.
    It was my dumbest trade ever.
    I had a 25 tick stop loss but i got filled over 100 ticks higher.
    I will never again put on a position or have entry orders in the market right when an inventory report comes out.

#11     Sep 23, 2009
  2. Sup TraderSU.

CLX is the front month now, in one month we will trade dec.

I trade for a 5 min time frame if im trying to scale out of a winner for 10-20 ticks, then try to hold the rest for 1hour+. Profit target is usually a whole dollar, if I can get 100 ticks on a 10 or 20 lot ill usually take that in.

My stops are 10-20ticks below my entry, although that changes when im averaging in. I like to average in with a 20 tick stop below my average price.

Profit target is usually 50cents to 1 dollar. You will usually get 2 or 3 NICE setups for that kind of a move everyday. Key is to stay out of the market untill u see one of those setups.

Don't overtrade it if you are a customer too, commissions will burn you. IM paying about $5 a round turn.

#12     Sep 23, 2009
  3. dhpar

dhpar

API report. private. voluntary submissions, i.e. some big companies/refs are missing.....

anybody thinking about trading CL should know these things by heart.

#13     Sep 23, 2009
  4. Please read an economic calendar daily to see what news reports are being released that can affect the mkt you trade. If you do this, you will see that 10:30 most Wed's have a crude inv release.

#14     Sep 23, 2009
  5. RedSun

RedSun

Both weekly API and DOE reports are highly volatile and not very reliable. The good way is the 4-week average. But markets trade on the short-term news and data. So you get the ideas.

CL actually is a safe market. It has been stuck in $60 to $80 for a long time. We should see it getting somhow higher from here.

#15     Sep 23, 2009
  6. #16     Sep 23, 2009
  7. You guys ever see energy trading like this, or a day p&l like this.

#17     Sep 23, 2009
  8. Daily P&L. Pre FOMC meeting. Held a nat gas winner for almost 100pts. Definately one of my better days.

#18     Sep 23, 2009
  9. Wow! Congrats. Can you please post your approx. percentage day's return on portfolio?

PS: I've a small account at IB and so far I'm only day-trading equities. I started looking at CL as an indicator when got into DIG/DUG and this is how my story begins...

- Su

#19     Sep 23, 2009
  10. dhpar

dhpar

good job!

#20     Sep 23, 2009