Civility is a subtle conqueror..

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Scalper Jake, Aug 30, 2001.

1. This was a post of mine from another thread that seemingly got out of hand ("what do you think about this site"). It seemed to do little or none to referee the dog fight, but perhaps we can start this thread on how to encourage positive interaction on the message boards...

>In my humble opinion you guys have way to much time on your hands to carry such a ridicules debate so far. With all this money you guys are making with your various chat rooms, ie the short man and other, shouldn't you be taking you wives or girlfriends to a five star dinner, booking exotic travel plans, writing a book on your new found fortunes, or puting your talents to other use? Look, you both seem like fairly inteligent guys, BUT PLEASE keep the banter to a minimum. What is it with everyone trying to jump all over any statement where they see some abiguity? I have only posted once for this very reason, it was a legitimate post on what I considered an important topic, only to untimately get attacked on differing opinions. Of course the conversation quickly got off topic and ended up in the the local garbage pit.

Which leads me to this point. Really, wouldn't we really be better off kepping positive, intelligent converstaion? Empower our fellow trader versus looking for a comment we can jump all over, just for the sake of throwing around what we perceive is our mental superority, advanced skills, and overall "naa, naa-I am better than you" attitude. The cronic, I'll paste this comment you made on your post and make you look like a fool , like thats such a neat trick.

Finally, In my opinion, it's okay if someone makes a ridicuous statement, or spams things up, to call him/ her on it. But then that's it, no 5 pages on the subject. Call the dog a dog and go on. If we look for the helpful and intelligent comments and advice this trading community has to offer, we all benefit with advanced information from what is overall, a great group of traders with a wealth of information. I come here looking for tips and links that I may have missed in my last 5 years of trading. It matter's not where they come from, can be a rookie, or a 20 year pro. Look for the good, you just may learn something..

Good Trading,

Jake
    -------------------------------------------
    Wise men never know enough

2. tymjr

tymjr

ScalperJake: ”If we look for the helpful and intelligent comments and advice this trading community has to offer, we all benefit with advanced information from what is overall, a great group of traders with a wealth of information. I come here looking for tips and links that I may have missed in my last 5 years of trading. It matter's not where they come from, can be a rookie, or a 20 year pro.”

Great comments. While I appreciate spirited debate and the right to defend oneself it is unfortunate to see some dialogue spin out of control. I certainly respect and applaud those traders that maintain civility while under unwarranted personal attack.

3. Tymjr,

I really could not agree more. I also enjoy a spirted debate. However, I find most of what I see far less than spirted, and hardly a debate. You really hit the nail on the head. It is that line that should be drawn on a debate versus a mean spirted dog fight. This is when many seem incapable of knowing when to set down the pen and walk away. I guess it's the fear of not having the last word, therefore the fight will be lost. I guess I just see things differently. In my view, the one that did not engage is such unproductive banter and personal insults, was indeed the victor.

You are right, there is a lot to be learned from a healthy debate, even from those involved in the debate if open minded. But, those that look only to engage the debate in life surely will miss out on a wealth of information..

Good Trading,

Jake
    ------------------------------
    The art of conversation is the Hallmark of the man...