Civil discourse on gun control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I'm just trying to understand what you suggest but you refuse to clarify anything. "some amount of money". "some months" "the banned ones". You make a comment like "Ban some guns" but provide absolutely zero suggestions on how to accomplish this other than to say "Australia did it, we can too!".

Everyone else here - on both sides of the discussion - is being specific. What is your difficulty doing so?

#51     Feb 17, 2018
  2. DTB2

DTB2

Let's focus on the small minority of highly charged incidents instead of your run of the mill gun crimes. That way we'll come to a reasonable sober solution, NOT.

#52     Feb 17, 2018
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

18 yo for pistols (with lower capacity),and bolt action rifles/shotguns.

21+ for semi auto + mandatory training+ some keep under lock and key provision (you can keep your pistols/shotguns out)

Don't know enough about gun fair loopholes but sounds like a problem

#53     Feb 17, 2018
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

First of all, a criminal getting a gun is - by definition - illegal. But a potential criminal can go through many legal methods that should be blocked to them currently. The 3rd party transfer is probably the biggest loophole out there.

#54     Feb 17, 2018
    Cuddles likes this.
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It's 21 right now for pistols (to purchase). Do you propose lowering it? It is 18 to possess a pistol (which makes no sense to me if the age to purchase is 21).

#55     Feb 17, 2018
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

I understand the bulk gun deaths are on the street, but that's not what people are calling to curtail

#56     Feb 17, 2018
  7. Cuddles

Cuddles

Federal or state? I'd have thought purchase would be legal thanks to the 2nd?

Shows how much I know

#57     Feb 17, 2018
  8. DTB2

DTB2

Riiight.;)

#58     Feb 17, 2018
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Federal law prohibits handgun sales under 21. But states allow possession of these handguns to folks 18 and over. Makes no sense. Should be 21 for all firearms, period. The problem is, of course, with those who serve in the military. They'll be like "wait, I can fire guns at people you want me to kill in Iraq, but you don't trust me to own a weapon here at home??"

I get their point. I don't know what solution there is there, except to offer an exception to those with active military service.

But kids these days are just too immature to own firearms. I see it all the time at the range.

#59     Feb 17, 2018
    Cuddles likes this.
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

But they should. Perhaps if they were out there trying to stop the everyday violence, they'd have more credibility when speaking out for these tragedies.

#60     Feb 17, 2018