Citigroup announces 1-for-10 reverse stock split

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Marc to Market, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Maverick is right on this one. One trick ponies are going to the glue factory...

#21     Mar 21, 2011
  2. opportunity is always seen when least expected. There will be more stocks to trade, no doubt.

#22     Mar 21, 2011
  3. EPrado

EPrado

Right now they don't. But if those HFT/Rebate guys all shift there, the stocks will do plenty of volume. It's not gonna happen over night. But they could definitely take their game to a new stock.

The volume on The NYSE is gonna take a huge hit if these guys don't head over to a new stock. I am sure a lot of the ecns/dark pools will do something to attract these guys somewhere else. These guys aren't goin anywhere.

#23     Mar 21, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I think that whole rebate game is going away anyway. If these guys actually knew how to trade, then yes, they could take their game somewhere else. But when your trade is based on a gimmick, then you are a sitting duck. Gimmick's never last forever.

#24     Mar 21, 2011
  5. EPrado

EPrado

The rebate game has been goin away for a long time. The rebate routes hit last (FLOW,BATS), so those guys are either taking the stock down a penny after getting hit and trading out of it, or if lucky enough, hitting one of the last bids in the book (and probably paying a decent amount to do so) for a scratch.

A lot of the traders in C are just trading the spread. Paying sometimes to get in/get out. The ones who make any money that is. Rebate trading ,like you said, is a gimmick....and a losing game.

#25     Mar 21, 2011
  6. Agreed, unless the exchanges stop giving rebates, the game has NOT changed, just the stock symbol. As long as the leverage/capital is available, the hedge funds, HFTs, prop firms will move their volume somewhere else, however the "gimmick" of the rebates may lower the margin of profit, especially if they shift to mid-points just to get the rebate.

#26     Mar 21, 2011
  7. EPrado

EPrado

Yeah...I am sure a lot of people want to see the death of the rebate/HFT guys. But they aint goin anywhere. Like you said they will just find a new symbol. All they need is a low priced stock like ALU,S,SIRI.

I would imagine they will start moving over to one of those beginning of May.

#27     Mar 21, 2011
  8. All of these 'traders' will pile into S. You'll see the daily volume there skyrocket.

#28     Mar 21, 2011
  9. It still won't trade anywhere even close to C pre-reverse split. Prop shops, black boxes, HFTs, etc. can only create so much volume. If they're on both sides all day like they are in C, you still need somebody on other side of the trade.

C trades a ton not only because of the prop shops, black boxes, HFTs, etc. but also because it's a widely held stock and one of the most popular companies in the world. Sprint, not so much at all.

#29     Mar 21, 2011
  10. So where do they go?

#30     Mar 21, 2011