Cities & Townships Are Getting HAMMERED w/Lost Property Tax Revenue

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jul 4, 2009.

1. clacy

clacy

Totally agree. Vouchers are one thing that could have a very positive impact on the black community AND Obama knows this.

Unfortunately, he will sell his people down the river in order to placate to the teachers union.

It's a shame.

#21     Jul 4, 2009
  2. jprad

jprad

Much as I want to agree, I think there's too many stupid sheeple for any sort of revolt of anything.

Collectively, we're too soft to pull it off.

As far as how schools are funded, property and school tax have always been separate line items in CT, NJ and NY.

Vouchers for private school is as likely to happen as improving public education. There's nothing political to gain, but plenty to lose in doing either.

#22     Jul 5, 2009
  3. Cutten

Cutten

In the great depression, US pensioners were bankrupted and made homeless by property taxes based on values at the peak of the boom, which they had to pay out of the decimated capital and dividends of their stock & bond portfolios. Those who had annuities often lost even their pension as the insurers went bust.

#23     Jul 5, 2009
  4. Cutten

Cutten

That would be totally contrary to the US constitution, which founded a *federal* system of government i.e. a collection of states, with the federal government having clearly defined and limited powers. Abolishing the constitution and the federal system can't be done by the president, and it's not something that the electorate in America would vote for any time soon.

#24     Jul 5, 2009
  5. dcvtss

dcvtss

Well here in my county in the people's republic of Maryland when property values declined they responded by raising the rate 8%, god forbid they cut some of their "essential" workers or stop running some of their handout centers for illegals. Is that just common sense?

#25     Jul 5, 2009
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

ok i admit i was wrong (something i have never seen before here). surely their must be some one accountable. can you vote for different candidates in the counties or could their be state revolutions. i don't know it just seems very unjust.

i read a post on this thread saying they are going to raise the tax to eight percent. that is in some cases the same as a deposit on a house. it seems very strange that the country is prepared to effectively make people homeless to pay for what may be none essential costs.

#26     Jul 5, 2009
  7. No, they can't. The US is, in name anyway, a republic of independent states. They each have their own governments and tax agencies. While full centralization is a goal of every Federal politician, they have not succeeded completely.

Much as he'd like to, obama can't just cancel State government rights and powers by decree, yet anyway.

#27     Jul 5, 2009
  8. The key word being "yet".
    And that "yet" is gonna be a short one.

#28     Jul 5, 2009
  9. #29     Jul 5, 2009
  10. morganist

morganist Guest

#30     Jul 5, 2009