Cities for starting a prop firm/hedge fund?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by misaki, Jan 17, 2013.

1. misaki

misaki

Didn't think of that. Gotcha. Physicists who have done substantial work in cosmology and QCD are great for the job.

That's hilarious.

Dublin was not on our radar before this. We were actually recommended Cape Town (+1h away from CET, pretty convenient). But the flight time, and moving all the way out there with no networks in the region was too reclusive for our liking. But now that you mention it, Dublin sounds like a fantastic place.

I think I've gathered enough suggestions to reassess our decision. We've decided to leave a small presence in MA, but relocate our main office to another place (have to hold a revote on the exact city, but given the new options, I think we're going to get a better answer this time). I'll definitely be happy to continue participating in this thread if the topic benefits anyone else.

Cheers! :)

#31     Jan 20, 2013
  2. bone

bone

Reason with them about economies of scale and that wonderful community feeling of a threesome.

#32     Jan 20, 2013
  3. ferdy

ferdy

Have you thought of Toronto? Great base to pick up new recruits with the numbers of universities in the area. Just my 2 cents:)

#33     Mar 14, 2013
  4. where is the best place to sleep and dream you run a prop shop?

#34     Mar 14, 2013
  5. oldxr

oldxr

Nevada-Texas or any state with out too many restrictive tax laws.Heard some thing about Puerto Rico having some kind of special deal with capital gains taxes but I didnt get all the info.There are many business LLC'S registered in Nevada but thanks to the computor age they just use Nevada for an address.East coast and California have the same problems-high taxes and high cost of living.

#36     Mar 14, 2013
  6. OP, what are your requirements for an office in the first place? All of these attributes are available somewhere but rarely in the same place, so you will have to prioritize.

Low cost of living
    Availability of cheap university talent
    IT connectivity
    Proximity to financial centers / counter parties
    Quality of life
    Low taxation
    Weather

#37     Mar 14, 2013
  7. Gibraltar

+climate
    +tax
    +if you like to live in spain

#38     Mar 14, 2013
  8. what is the tax rate in Spain?

It isn't that funny,any of these troubled countries that you hear about can attract business by lowering the corp tax rate

#39     Mar 14, 2013
  9. Houston, TX...holla!!!!

Seriously, this place is on absolute fire right now. I hear the economic complaints coming from the rest of the country and I laugh, as there's no freaking way Houston can be so far ahead of the pack.

#40     Mar 15, 2013