Cities for starting a prop firm/hedge fund?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by misaki, Jan 17, 2013.

1. If you considered Austin, consider Houston, especially if your firm invests or would like to invest in energy. I'm sure you can steal some smart physicists from the space program and energy companies if you can make it worth their while. Northern Virginia is also good for finding PhD's who went to go work for the government in DC.

#11     Jan 19, 2013
  2. divide the traders into two groups:

Profitable:
    South Florida

Unprofitable:
    Antarctica

#12     Jan 19, 2013
  3. LOL!

I would say South FLA and NYC for profitable traders.

#13     Jan 19, 2013
  4. luisHK

luisHK

Quite the contrary for me, besides considerations about my non equity trading business, I would like move to a polar/subpolar area if I could find there schools at least in english for the kids and friendly tax regulations - plus the Guld Stream warming the place, it looks much bleaker in north america, pretty crazy to see Montreal, roughly on the same latitude as Geneva, beeing (sometimes much) colder than most northern Scandinavia in winter, pretty much on par with Svalbard . It doesn't stop people telling me that Montreal is a great place btw.

Plus rather fed up with hot weather.

#14     Jan 19, 2013
  5. luisHK

luisHK

Also what about Amsterdam to settle in Europe ? I read a couple of times it's a popular place for hedge funds and independant traders, but I'm not fascinated with the city and haven't investigated much of its trading related benefits. But it seems one doesn't pay cap gains tax, rather a 1.4% tax on capital, and possibly one can deduct expenses from it.

#15     Jan 19, 2013
  6. luisHK

luisHK

it's 1.2% not 1.4, but corporate profits should be another matter

#16     Jan 19, 2013
  7. ixus

ixus

Dublin, Ireland.

Corporation Tax.
    Timezone.
    6 hour flight to East Coast.
    SIG, Virtu & Geneva established there.

Plenty of IT talent with every US multinational having their Euro HQ there. Four Universities within easy reach of the city.

#17     Jan 20, 2013
  8. why not just go remote?

you sound pretty old fashioned and regressive to me

typical of Boston

lost in the past

afraid of the new

#18     Jan 20, 2013
  9. hey, congratulations!

I hear you finally hired a black player for your baseball team

how's that working out for you?

#19     Jan 20, 2013
  10. be careful