Cities closing libraries, destroying books

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Aug 6, 2010.

1. thanks to project gutenberg and the rise of the e-reader, paper backed books are going to go extinct. Classical works and all free literature will be in the hands of everyone in the world instantaneously.

#31     Aug 9, 2010
  2. nitro

nitro

Yeah whoever designed GW library has no taste. It could be that it is too expensive to build any other way, or perhaps building codes do not allow for as much leeway. No matter, most modern buildings suck the big one. The outside of GW is fine, the inside is devoid of any ambiance whatsoever.

I have been to the Northwester U library, and it is ok. Nothing special.

#32     Aug 9, 2010
  3. Amen

#33     Aug 9, 2010
  4. nitro

nitro

Library of U of Vienna Austria. I must visit one day.

[​IMG]

#34     Feb 27, 2012
  5. Bob111

Bob111

[​IMG]

#35     Feb 27, 2012
  6. zdreg

zdreg

barnes and nobles together with the internet is the library.

#36     Feb 27, 2012
  7. "Study halls" for students who want to look "cool" while sipping their hot chocolate and doing their algebra homework. :cool:

#37     Feb 27, 2012
  8. Books......food for vermin. That's great, really great. :( :mad: :eek:

#38     Feb 27, 2012
  9. ashatet

ashatet

The single most intriguing place and exciting as well is a library, and by library, I do not mean the stupid libraries that all towns have (who cannot even afford it), I mean a real library in an IVY League school or a research school like Stanford or Chicago.

Libraries take you away from the daily grind and into the world of imagination and free thinking.

I would rather eliminate the professional sports, most of TV, and most of Cinema and people should spend that money on libraries.

#39     Feb 28, 2012