Cities closing libraries, destroying books

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Bob111

Bob111

true..and this is the reason why many of them miserably fail in english @ school. and their main vocabulary is "yo! you know what i mean".. fuck our imagination too..who need it? we have video games! let the developers think for us! hey! we got 3 fucking D movies too!

however-i agree on library on every corner..they should be digital and books should be accessible from online..one big online library..

#11     Aug 6, 2010
  2. dtan1e

dtan1e

funny how US can offer aid to foreign disaster victims but can't afford libraries at home, or billions to compensate stockholders losses and try to prop up the markets indefinitely hoping that investors be the last sucker while its local gov't can't pay its debts, corporates reporting record profits one after another while millions unemployed and getting desperate

#12     Aug 6, 2010
  3. S2007S

S2007S

I don't even remember the last time I was in a library its been so long. BUT I remember back years ago when they taught us how to use the card catalog. The card catalog is gone just like libraries will be gone in the next decade, there are no need for libraries anymore since everything you need you can get with a few touches of a button. All research isnt done in a library anymore like it used to be its all done from the comfort of your laptop or even smartphone today. Post offices are the next to shut down in the next decade or two so dont be so surprised.

[​IMG]

#13     Aug 6, 2010
  4. Camden, according to nutwiki, is a shithole. [citation needed]

#14     Aug 6, 2010
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Everytime they want to raise taxes in California at any level of government it's always about the Fire Departments, Police and Libraries..... Then they take the money and use it for something else...

#15     Aug 6, 2010
  6. nitro

nitro

This is a terrible tragedy if it spreads. Libraries are the last sanctuary where one can go and truly go into deep thought in a public place. No music, silence is the golden rule. The iPad, eBooks etc are awesome, but a library is not about the books stored there!

I consider a library a modern cathedral, a place to feel connected with the past. I admit, I mostly hate modern libraries because they look like hospitals to me - sanitized, bland, devoid of any ambiance. To me a library is almost a religious experience. There are a few great libraries left in the world, with an old world charm of scholarship.

#16     Aug 6, 2010
  7. nitro

nitro

The quintessential library look, imo:

[​IMG]

Thank God someone still finds this intensely charming.

#17     Aug 6, 2010
  8. [​IMG]

#18     Aug 6, 2010
  9. ashatet

ashatet

Who needs books anymore, unless you are looking for hard science books. It is all on the web now. There are some people who are too poor to afford the internet, I disagree, as anyone who can afford to eat, can afford a $200 used laptop and $25 for Broadband.

The last I heard is that basketball players were still making 10s of Millions of Dollars. We all pay for that crap, even if we do not go and watch those stupid games. We need to abandon these excess sports before we abandon the libraries.

The only people who will get hurt by this will be the Librarians only.

I live is a small town of 20K people, but the Library is top notch, at least for stuff kids use. It costs more in gas and effort to get a book and then return it than to just buy many of these books, better yet, You Tube has most of that stuff for free. I would like to see my Library closed and see my tax bill go down.

#19     Aug 6, 2010
  10. Bob111

Bob111

wow! :p

#20     Aug 6, 2010