Citi ad blitz hopes to pre-empt cataclysmic "run on the bank"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, Nov 22, 2008.

1. huh

huh

True...but I guess my assumption is that the majority of people that have over the FDIC limit in cash would have spread the cash around to different banks....I can't think of a more boneheaded move than to have over the FDIC limit money in any single bank this late in the game after all the failures we've seen.....

#11     Nov 22, 2008
  2. Mvic

Mvic

Not a good idea to have uninsured money at ANY institution at the present time, but if I had less than $250K at Citi I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it. Also, look at AIG, if the government is willing to go as far as it has for AIG I don't expect anything less for Citi. If you are a still a shareholder at this point then frankly you deserve to lose your money but insured depositors and even bondholders need not worry.

#12     Nov 22, 2008
  3. coolraz

coolraz

And probably the majority of people on this board don't have more than 250k of cash anyway : )
    I know I dont!

#13     Nov 22, 2008
  4. mokwit

mokwit

A sudden blitz of reassurance advertising is frequently a prelude to bankruptcy. Example: Refco.............................

#14     Nov 22, 2008
  5. stop bashing on Citi here, and do something like me maxing out all my citi credit cards.:D

#15     Nov 22, 2008
  6. coolraz

coolraz

so uhm hypothetically, if you did max them out and citi DID go under, that would mean what exactly??

if the bank gets taken over, don't you still have to pay back the loans/credit card balances to the bank lol???

(not making fun, i really want to know cuz i have citi credit cards : )

#16     Nov 22, 2008
  7. mokwit

mokwit

Either a new bank takes over or the reciever would sell the debt to a distressed asset /debt collector [who now does not have to worry about a Bank being fusy about its image.]

#17     Nov 22, 2008
  8. Trying to work from memory, but thought that Citi has 770 billion in deposits and FDIC has 51 billion in ready cash. In any case, I believe Citi outsizes FDIC.

#18     Nov 23, 2008
  9. Citi will lay off 30 to 40% of its work force before XMAS.

#19     Nov 23, 2008
  10. If they let C fall, would gold skyrocket?

#20     Nov 23, 2008