Citadel CEO Ken Griffin Donates $10M

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by vanzandt, Apr 11, 2018.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Citadel CEO Ken Griffin Donates $10M To Help Fight Crime In Chicago

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- Investment firm CEO Ken Griffin has donated $10 million to try to make Chicago a safer place to live, work and play.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson and the University of Chicago Crime Lab joined philanthropist and Citadel CEO Ken Griffin on Wednesday to announce the launch of a new initiative to reduce violent crime in Chicago.

The money comes from Ken Griffin, philanthropist and the CEO of Citadel, who said, "no child anywhere should be afraid to walk to school or play outside.

"A safer Chicago attracts more families and better jobs, and provides a better quality of life for all. I am proud to support the University of Chicago Crime Lab, whose programs have had a powerful impact on reducing violent crime. I hope this initiative inspires other leaders to join the important efforts by many to make our city safer for everyone.”

The $10 million donation will be used to upgrade technology, hire up to 13 more University of Chicago Crime Lab analysts who work with police in pinpointing potential trouble spots in neighborhoods, and, according to Mayor Rahm Emanuel, "it also allows us to make an investment in the training with early warning for officers. So, if there’s an officer that needs additional help, additional training, additional support, we can pull that officer off the street, give them the support they need to be the officers we want them to be."

Roseanna Ander, executive director of the University of Chicago Crime Lab said Griffin’s gift is going to be a "transformational investment" to make Chicago safer.

Ander said that, besides allowing her to hire up to 13 more people to work as analysts in Chicago police districts, "it’s going to help provide some technology upgrades and it’s also going to be used to provide support and training for officers that need support and training.

"This generous grant will further our efforts to use data and evidence to drive progress, building on our decade of partnership with city agencies and community-based organizations across Chicago. We are proud to work with philanthropist and business leader Ken Griffin and the Department to further these efforts to reduce violence, to promote community engagement and trust, and to enhance opportunities for all Chicagoans.”

So far, in districts where that new technology, analysts and community policing have come together, shootings and murders are down. Supt. Eddie Johnson said, "hope, optimism and the re-building that comes with it are replacing the sounds of sirens and gunshots."

Mayor Emanuel said, if you can predict [trouble>, you can prevent it.

“This is another demonstration of how civic innovation, academia and philanthropy can come together to create meaningful and lasting impact for the city we all love. The impact of Ken’s donation will be felt for generations to come," Mayor Emanuel said in a statement.

https://wbbmnews.radio.com/articles...-griffin-donates-10m-help-fight-crime-chicago

bone likes this.
  2. If I wanted to buy police protection, this is how I'd do it.

i960 and Pekelo like this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Found it in the sofa crack.

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

This was my first thought too...

Although the Koch brother hire navy seals, just as good or even better.