Circuit City to Fire 3400, Hire Less Costly Workers

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Do you honestly need "advice" from those morons when you are shopping at the store?

#21     Mar 29, 2007
  2. Yeah when I have never seen what a KVM switch is I do, and it not to much to ask for a 60$ 2 port switch. I don't need a personal shopper, but I do like service.

#22     Mar 29, 2007
  3. That's cause there is zero incentive to perform at CC. It's not that they are lazy, it's just that they just do not care. Why deal with customers when you can just hang out by the cashier's desk and chit chat. If you know your tech stuff, like to sell and have customer service skills, why would you work at Circuit City? All of this was blatantly obvious to me on my last visit, especially since I did need some help and the one guy who actually made an effort, I even asked him if he is going to get anything out of it cause I wanted to make sure he gets credit for it (it was like $1k worth of stuff). He explained that it really does not matter who rings me up, so by making sure I was was rung up by him, I actually gave him more work that he got nothing out of.

Just think about the fact that I was able to quickly zoom in on the key flaw in CC's sales operation from one visit, while the CEO still has no idea. A bit sad huh? There are other key differences between Best Buy and Circuit City, mainly marketing strategy, ad campaigns, product offerings, even something like the outside decors of the two stores. It does not take a genius to figure out why CC is lagging or what really needs to be done. But hey, that's why CEOs get paid millions of dollars, to make the exact opposite moves and even be stupid enough to make such statements to the public.

Well, better yet, just ask Steve Odland.

At least Jack Welsh cut waste like middle managers (think Bill Lumberg from "Office Space"). And he made sure to support & motivate performers, as well as listen to the employees and ask them for suggestions & ideas.

#23     Mar 30, 2007
  4. From what I've been told by CC managers this was just the first phase of the entire plan. So, more cuts are coming in a few months that will most likely target management within the store and district offices.

#24     Mar 30, 2007
  5. While some management needs to be cut, the fact that the CC managers know about this is even worse.

Would not be too surprising if CC starts missing their own estimates in the next few quarters due to "employee theft". Come to think of it, might be a good time to get a part time gig at Circuit City, .

#25     Mar 30, 2007