Circuit City Getting Crushed Today

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ByLoSellHi, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Wall st. has no faith in current ceo and mgmt team. They need a cost cutter ceo to revamp the biz model.

Its all doable and has been done before.. but this Phil guy has a terrible track record thus far.

#41     Jan 8, 2008
  2. RAD is another good example, but they have huge debt.

Atleast they have new mgmt and much more stable biz.

CC & RAD are good 2-5 year turn around plays. Both will not be going bk.. and they have well known US company brand names.

#42     Jan 8, 2008
  3. My Fav. turnaround play is AMD.. i think it will make a huge comeback in 2009. They will figure out a way to make ati work with their cpus.. and will be a huge success. I am a big believer of cpu + gpu combo chip.

#43     Jan 8, 2008
  4. I'm very long AMD, too.

In fact, I've built a sizeable position in CC at around 3.84, and AMD at 7.25.

Two of my favorite 18 month plays.

#44     Jan 8, 2008
  5. you can do this at best buy, too. and bby has positive earnings unlike cc.

so why would anyone buy shares of cc?

#45     Jan 8, 2008
  6. Because Best Buy has peaked, and Circuit City has either $4.00 of downside risk max, or a whole lot more potential upside.

And again, CC doesn't have a revenue problem, but a cost problem. If they can fix that, profits will flow like so much milk and honey.

BBYs near $50.

Circuit City sells 1/3 as much merchandise as Best Buy, yet Best Buy has a market cap that's nearly 30x greater (30 billion versus 700 million).

#46     Jan 8, 2008
  7. With circuit city CC being dropped (reported last week after the close) from the S&P500. How much of an impact will this have on the stock price as index funds readjust?

#47     Mar 23, 2008
  8. If you believe (a big if) the shorts, the removal in CC from the S&P will prompt institutional selling (Philip Morris will replace CC on the S&P).

Look, I'm biased, as I'm long CC, so take whatever I say with an even larger grain of salt than usually.

However, of all retail segments, I like electronics the most. In the electronics segment, BBY is the clear leader, and Radio Shack is the clear laggard, and CC is this strange entity that generates a lot of revenue, has no debt, and is currently experiencing a proxy battle for control of the board (and to oust the current CEO). So, it's a very foggy picture - but they do not have a revenue issue, which is a huge positive, IMO.

It's up more than most retailers since the beginning of 08, and its fundamentals are not exactly terrible (in fact, it trades at .05 p/s ratio, with a large cash reserve that makes the current share price close to cash value, let alone book value ($4.37 share price, with a net cash per share price of $2.50 - that's relatively remarkable).

I'm not a fan of S&P, but I think this research note is relatively accurate:

S&P Analyst Research Notes
    S&P REITERATES BUY RECOMMENDATION ON SHARES OF CIRCUIT CITY
    Friday 03/14/2008 11:37 AM ET

Ahead of Feb-Q results to be reported on 4/9, we are widening our Feb-Q loss estimate to $0.09 from $0.02. For FY 09 (Feb.), we project a slowdown in consumer spending and believe CC will be hard pressed to improve operating results. We are widening our FY 09 loss estimate to $0.91 from our previous loss estimate of $0.25, and cutting our DCF-based target price by $1 to $7. However, with net cash of nearly $2.50/share, significant opportunity for structural change, and trading at a trough price/sales ratio of 0.05X, we find the shares attractive at current levels.

I am staying long and hopefully not wrong CC. The move from the S&P isn't particularly worrisome to me as some of my best performers have been non-participants.

A big loss is expected. If they exceed the low expectations the street has baked into their cake, there could be a lot of upside for CC.

But it's all very fluid right now.

#48     Mar 23, 2008
  9. I have been in 2 local CC stores, there are hardly any sales people around and they mostly ignore customers( surely not on commission). Based on what I see would never buy their stock, business looks terrible, though I like the store and hope it stays .

#49     Mar 23, 2008
  10. ggoyal

ggoyal

fundamentals one hand, i think it shoudl spike in the coming few days. dont know how much. just opened 2000 shares. ill wait 4-5 days on this one.

#50     Mar 27, 2008