Church Tax, Wadda ya think?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. hell yes. its such a burden to be a preacher and pay higher taxes.
    thats why this guy is forming a church to save on taxes.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Former megachurch pastor Ted Haggard, who fell from grace amid a sex scandal, is starting a new church in Colorado Springs.

Haggard made the announcement Wednesday during a news conference at his home.

Incorporation papers for a new church were filed three weeks ago, he said. Haggard previously indicated that he and his wife incorporated the church for accounting purposes but predicted they would return to some type of ministry one day.

Haggard resigned as senior pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church after a male prostitute alleged Haggard paid him for sex over three years.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) – Ted Haggard, the former megachurch pastor who fell from grace amid a sex scandal, has called a news conference to announce the next step in his career.

The announcement is planned Wednesday at Haggard's Colorado Springs home, three weeks after he said he filed incorporation papers for a new church.

Haggard has said he and his wife incorporated the church for accounting purposes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/02/ted-haggard-announcement-_n_597370.html

#41     Jun 2, 2010
  2. Did you read my prior post? For every one TV-preacher, there are thousands of small-town, small-congregation pastors, out there visiting the sick and dying, traveling to Haiti or New Orleans to lend support and encouragement, making the world a warmer, better place in many ways, great and small. They're paid peanuts, and, yes, they pay taxes on their meager salaries.

When you've had the life-experience of dealing with the sick, the dying, the suffering -- then we'll talk about all this. Till then, probably you should head back to the kiddie table, start a thread about the upcoming version of Halo or COD... or whatever it is you have actual experience with.

#42     Jun 2, 2010
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

...or the national endowment for the arts or the IRS (sales or flat tax) or the dept. of energy (created to reduce our dependence on foreign oil) or the dept. of education (should be handled locally) or the African Development Foundation or donations to the UN or foreign aid to countries that hate our fucking guts or the Commission on International Religious Freedom or HUD or the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform (HA!) or the National Endowment for the Humanities or the Office of National Drug Control Policy or the Office of Thrift Supervision or the USPS or Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration or the White House Commission on Presidential Scholars.

#43     Jun 2, 2010
  4. Just audit the churches to make sure they are following the same rules as any other non profit corporation...

Make churches file the same paperwork as any non profit corporation, etc.

If they are cheating the rules and regs of a non profit corporation, they lose their status.

Simple...

#44     Jun 2, 2010
  5. thats funny. i dont know what halo is but i assume its a video game. i am much older than that. i was already too old for kidde games when part of you was leaking down your mommys leg.
    by the way i was once privy to church finance commitee reports. we had church in a small city. our preacher was paid 120k plus bennies. you call that peanuts?

by the way i have experience with dying and suffering. i have buried 3 parents already. it wasnt fun.

#45     Jun 2, 2010
  6. But it would be very wrong for a business to force its ideology or anything else for that matter upon the young in education.

#46     Jun 2, 2010
  7. Where do you get your sense of right & wrong? Who defined it for you and what right to they have to say whats right and wrong?

The only problem non-believers have with the bible is the fact that God is in it. If you took God out of the bible, you still have a great book that teaches you everything from how to treat others, how to raise your kids, how to manage your finances, teaches that you should always work and not be a burden to anyone if you can help it, and many other things. Basically teaches every life skill a kid could ever need.

#47     Jun 2, 2010
  8. hell yes. its obvious someone has never read the whole bible:

Death for Hitting Dad

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Cursing Parents

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

#48     Jun 2, 2010
  9. I haven't followed the exact details of the Obama tax bills, but didn't he suggest that charitable donations no longer be a tax write-off? If that change has occured, then we effectively do tax churches.

#49     Jun 3, 2010
  10. Wonder how many little old ladies who did't know any better have left their entire estates to these snake oil salesmen?

#50     Jun 3, 2010