Church Tax, Wadda ya think?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. olias

olias

FreeThinker, my issue with your posts usually boils down to the fact that you make so many assumptions about people who 'believe in God'. It makes your argument easy to assume those things, but it's a cheap way to debate. Don't take it personally; I think you know what I'm saying.

#31     Jun 2, 2010
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

In other words, you have no argument so you give the rebuttal of a rude fifth-grader. Impressive.

#32     Jun 2, 2010
  3. There are certainly other reasons, but tax breaks are one of those reasons.

I quite enjoy the way I live. Freedom FROM religion. I'm not afraid I'll burn in hell if I don't talk to myself before bed every night. And I enjoy sleeping in on Sundays after drinking all night Saturday.

#33     Jun 2, 2010
  4. Mnphats

Mnphats

Got a link for that?

#34     Jun 2, 2010
  5. assumptions? been there done that. i speak from experience.

#35     Jun 2, 2010
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

You talking about religion, or governments redistribution of wealth from tax payers to non tax payers?

Or is there a difference?

(I agree churches should pay taxes)

#36     Jun 2, 2010
  7. Much of what you call "overhead" -- for instance pastors' salaries -- I would classify as charitable (of course, you're free to disagree). Typical pastors spend a lot of time on pastoral care -- tending to the sick and dying. Sometimes those folks are congregants, but very often they aren't. Many a human being has spent his/her last day or two on this earth with only a pastor to hold his/her hand -- the kids and grandkids lost interest years ago when gramps/gramma's Alzheimer's started to worsen. Do speak to a real-life pastor or two to get a sense of what they really do with their days on this Earth. And, as mentioned, for this privilege, they get to pay higher-than-W2 taxes.

#37     Jun 2, 2010
  8. as long as you also tax temples and mosques then, sure.

#38     Jun 2, 2010
  9. Good point.

#39     Jun 2, 2010
  10. The idea of taxing churches really makes no sense. A basic principle of tax law is that the recipient of a gift does not have to pay taxes on it. I suppose the objection is to people getting a charitable deduction for religious donations. That will never happen because it would expose the whole issue of deductibility of other charitable contributions, which predominantly go to liberal organizations. You want a real culture war, bar deductions for religous contributions but allow them for the ACLU.

I'll be ready to discuss raising taxes when the government drops even some minor wasteful spending, like support for public broadcasting.

#40     Jun 2, 2010