Church Tax, Wadda ya think?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. I think it makes sense, Those Televangalists rake in billions a year tax free and none of it goes to local communities, its all for their extravagant lifestyle. On TV you see them every day begging for money, having to make the 4 million dollar goal for the day etc..

2. agree. Tax free religion is a scam... churches are a lot of things but "non-profit" is not one of them

3. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Any organized religion should be taxed as a corporation, after some standard exemption. That way the smaller churches would feel no impact, while the larger ones would pay taxes just like every other corporation.

4. pspr

pspr

It's unconstitutional. If the state had tax power over churches it would be tantamount to controlling religious freedom through manipulation. Surely, you have heard of the "separation of church and state".

5. Churches should absolutely have to pay taxes. This is actually one of the main reasons I despise religion. Just because I believe or don't believe in certain things does not mean I should have to pay taxes and you don't.

6. olias

olias

sounds good to me

7. "The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history. "Robert Heinlein

8. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Awesome quote - thanks for posting

9. An idea whose time has come.

10. Where does OP's img file come from? I couldn't find the story, Googling it various ways. If the item is real, and recent, and actually from AP, it will be on the Web. Can someone supply a URL to the original?

As to "taxing churches" -- the amount of money donated to churchs is peanuts relative to Federal spending, 2-3 <i>orders of magnitude</i> smaller. And churches are going broke and closing these days, not rolling in money. They face aging/declining membership lists, and a tightening of donor purse-strings post '08. This hurts all manner of benevolence recipients who depend on church gifts -- locally and in places like Haiti.

I wonder if anyone posting on this thread has ever actually tried running a church -- serving on a parish council or whatever.

#10     Jun 2, 2010