Christie meets with Obama, Vetoes major part of Obamacare.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Dec 7, 2012.

1. Max E.

Max E.

For those on the right who thought Christie went Soft.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie Vetoes Bill To Create Obamacare Health Insurance Exchange

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) became the latest state chief executive to rebuff President Barack Obama's health care reform law Thursday by vetoing a bill that would have created an online marketplace for uninsured residents to shop for health insurance.

For the second time this year, Christie rejected legislation passed by New Jersey's Democratic-controlled legislature that would have established a state-run health insurance exchange under Obamacare. The exchanges will be the gateway to health insurance coverage and financial assistance for individuals and small businesses under the 2010 federal law. New Jersey is now the 19th state to decline to create its own exchange, which will leave the federal government in charge of these new marketplaces in those states.

Christie said the health law, known as the Affordable Care Act, doesn't give states enough leeway to design health insurance markets for their residents and that federal authorities haven't provided enough information about how the exchanges would work.

"I will not ask New Jerseyans to commit today to a state-based exchange when the federal government cannot tell us what it will cost, how that cost compares to other options and how much control they will give the states over this option that comes at the cost of our state’s taxpayers," Christie said in a news release. "We will comply with the Affordable Care Act, but only in the most efficient and cost effective way for New Jersey taxpayers."

Christie met with Obama at the White House Thursday to discuss federal relief funding in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/chris-christie-veto-obamacare_n_2251019.html

2. That's rational. He wants more detail on how the exchanges should be run.

Nothing wrong with that.

3. Max E.

Max E.

Guess which party blocked interstate competition among private insurers? This should be a no brainer.....

4. Max E.

Max E.

Can you think of a single reason why we as consumers wouldnt want insurers in different states fighting for our business? I.E. a reason why we should not be allowed to shop for insurance in any state of our choosing?

5. As Christie said, we don't know how this is going to play. The people voted for ACA, so as a responsible governor he is going to comply, but first, we do need to know details. I would like think all governors would ask these kinds of questions. My state has not had a governor in a long time.:(

At least Quinn is not going to prison....yet.

6. Max E.

Max E.

Christie is fighting the government created pools, and rightfully so, the government cant do anytrhing right, on the same hand obama and co fought republicans over the ability to buy insurance across state lines through private companies.

What possible reason could obama have had while he passed obamacare, for not allowing people to purchase health insurance across state lines, and thus make all insurance companies compete?

7. Max E.

Max E.

Your state deserves to be burning in ashes, i dont even mean this offensively, just matter of factually, any state that repeatedly elects convicted felons, and elects j.jackoff.jr. from the insane asylum is completely dysfunctional, you could hope for better representation, but the mere fact that "freddy krueger" got elected with an overwhelming majority should tell you that you are no longer living in a sane democracy, you are now living in the democratic equivalent of Iran.

8. Because this would lead to Wal-Mart sized insurance companies being able to move in based on size alone, is my suspicion.

Can a small insurance company compete with Aetna?

9. Do you mean that in the sense that Illinois is unbreakable one party rule?

That has been a complaint of many here, but that is the way it is. Illinois has 12 million people in it. Guess where 8 million of those souls live?

10. Max E.

Max E.

Why shouldnt a company like walmart be allowed to insure everyone at a cheaper price?

Are you saying insurance companies who charge more should be allowed to exist simply because there is no competition?

How would it be worse for the consumer if walmart was allowed to provide insurance?

#10     Dec 7, 2012