Christie: Gingrich 'Has Been An Embarrassment To The Party'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Christie: Gingrich 'Has Been An Embarrassment To The Party'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/22/chris-christie-gingrich-embarrassment_n_1222009.html

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie declared on Sunday that Newt Gingrich has been "an embarrassment" to the Republican Party who didn't have the background or capacity to serve as an effective president.

Appearing on "Meet the Press," the top Mitt Romney surrogate didn't refrain from sharp character attacks.

"I think Gingrich has embarrassed the party over time," Christie said. "Whether he'll do it again in the future, I don't know. But Gov. Romney never has."

And he went on from there.

"We all know the record," Christie said. "He was run out of the speakership by his own party. He was fined $300,000 for ethics violations. This is a guy who has had a very difficult political career at times and has been an embarrassment to the party ... I don't need to regale the country with that entire list again except to say this: I'm not saying he will do it again in the future, but sometimes past is prologue."

When it comes to Romney campaign attacks on Gingrich, this pushes the envelope a bit. But that's the role that surrogates are supposed to play and few can thrust the knife with as much gusto as Christie. The New Jersey governor did go on to unenthusiastically state that, "sure," Gingrich could beat Obama in a general election race. But it was clear from his tone that the race to become the nominee to face Obama is about to get a lot more personal.

2. He's right of course.
    Christie will be the nominee in '16, and Prez come Jan '17. Shoo-in.

3. I don't think he can beat Hillary :cool:

4. Not sure if ol' Hil will have the energy left to run. Wouldn't that be something, Christie vs. Hil and Bill?

Better stop here for fear of being called names. Better focus on Newt and Mitt for a while.

Who does Obama have an easier chance of beating, Newt or Mitt, in your opinion, or anyones. The $2 question.

c

5. At first I thought Romney would be hardest to beat,now I think he beats both of them easily

6. It will be interesting to see how much ammunition they both give Obama by beating up on each other.

c

7. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Rand Paul 2016. The numbers will grow.

8. Wonder if Christie is looking to run as Mittens VP; that would set him up for a future run for President.

Seneca

9. I think that would be a mistake. Mittens future, should he win, will be mired with as much discontent and hostility as Obummer's. The hard choices that any politician would have to make ensure acute pain, but longer term survival. On the other hand, the can kicking still falls on the head of the middle/lower classes and fuels all of the political unrest.

He'd be much safer on the sidelines critiquing what's wrong and alligning himself with yet another "kill the status quo" type campaign down the road.

10. Brass

Brass

Not in this lifetime.

#10     Jan 23, 2012